redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poulan 1950.
I got it for free as the guy didnt want to stick the cash in it for a carb kit and fuel lines..
Carb kit done.
Modded the muff with a 5/8" hole.
Because it's a wood shark, not a wood minnow.
20190319_185357.jpg

As it was given to me, safety bumper chain and all.
Little pos cuts pretty decent.

Still need to do the fuel lines.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poulan 1950.
I got it for free as the guy didnt want to stick the cash in it for a carb kit and fuel lines..
Carb kit done.
Modded the muff with a 5/8" hole.
Because it's a wood shark, not a wood minnow.
View attachment 172100

As it was given to me, safety bumper chain and all.
Little pos cuts pretty decent.

Still need to do the fuel lines.

Nice! get the fuel lines and stuff right from Poulan, plenty cheap enough and will be right and last.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Todays cut report was an interesting project, take two old junk loggers saws and make one good one out of them. Seemed easy enough, and just barely pulled it off, was one good part on one or the other saw and the other junk. Can fit what was left over in my hand. Stihl had to get a bunch of new parts to make it a saw the owner could be proud of, so it was a mix of OEM and AM to keep costs down from the ridiculous bracket as there was plenty to buy and money had to be spent wisely for the build to go forward.
It cuts good for a low compression build, used a 460 cylinder with a full open chamber and cut very little from the band and a generous amount of squish. This will allow the owner to be able to start the saw which was very high on his list of what needed done. So didn't quite get all the torque out of this saw I would like to have had and seems to like to stay in that higher rpm band. Even so you push on it and load it hard, it bears down and takes it, so even after all the hairs were split a pretty darn nice saw all around. :)

Edit: first chain wouldn't grab and the second grabbed maybe too good.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Todays cut report was an interesting project, take two old junk loggers saws and make one good one out of them. Seemed easy enough, and just barely pulled it off, was one good part on one or the other saw and the other junk. Can fit what was left over in my hand. Stihl had to get a bunch of new parts to make it a saw the owner could be proud of, so it was a mix of OEM and AM to keep costs down from the ridiculous bracket as there was plenty to buy and money had to be spent wisely for the build to go forward.
It cuts good for a low compression build, used a 460 cylinder with a full open chamber and cut very little from the band and a generous amount of squish. This will allow the owner to be able to start the saw which was very high on his list of what needed done. So didn't quite get all the torque out of this saw I would like to have had and seems to like to stay in that higher rpm band. Even so you push on it and load it hard, it bears down and takes it, so even after all the hairs were split a pretty darn nice saw all around. :)

Edit: first chain wouldn't grab and the second grabbed maybe too good.

Cookie launcher!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been procrastinating putting this 353 back together as I wasn't able to really go where I wanted with it and I finally had to concede and just finish it up and hope for the best. The goal here was an improved saw, so in that regard it's a success. Its main function will be limbing and topping, seeing that nothing radical was wanted I figured it should still cut bigger wood too and not be real high strung.

This saw came back for a carb clean and tune and seeing as it was the one saw that really didn't get the full treatment like it should have in the first place I decided to re-dicker it over again as long as it was on my bench. It surprised my cousin with it when he did a test cut this morning before taking it home. Glad now I spent the extra time on it and didn't just get it back running and kick it out the door. It should do him a much better job now limbing and topping than before. Might just give his 254 some competition too.
So now I know that these 353's can be made to run pretty darn good as is without a pile of upgrades.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw came back for a carb clean and tune and seeing as it was the one saw that really didn't get the full treatment like it should have in the first place I decided to re-dicker it over again as long as it was on my bench. It surprised my cousin with it when he did a test cut this morning before taking it home. Glad now I spent the extra time on it and didn't just get it back running and kick it out the door. It should do him a much better job now limbing and topping than before. Might just give his 254 some competition too.
So now I know that these 353's can be made to run pretty darn good as is without a pile of upgrades.

That one runs good!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was a box o'saw that I got from the Stump Shooter. Steve hooked me up with some nice parts, basically a complete saw. It really didn't need a whole lot of extras besides the normal wear parts. I did pick up a HD filter set up and a few smalls.

I put it together completely stock, not even a base gasket delete or muffler mod. Just a nice stock saw....for now.[emoji16]

Here's the first cuts after a really quick tune. I love these old Tilly carbs when they're right, nothing tunes easier! Very impressed with this saw. Wayyy more grunt than the 670's I've worked on. Grabby square chain...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was a box o'saw that I got from the Stump Shooter. Steve hooked me up with some nice parts, basically a complete saw. It really didn't need a whole lot of extras besides the normal wear parts. I did pick up a HD filter set up and a few smalls.

I put it together completely stock, not even a base gasket delete or muffler mod. Just a nice stock saw....for now.[emoji16]

Here's the first cuts after a really quick tune. I love these old Tilly carbs when they're right, nothing tunes easier! Very impressed with this saw. Wayyy more grunt than the 670's I've worked on. Grabby square chain...

Good job DJ!:campeon:

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nice runs good
Glad you got one after missing out on that sweet deal a few weeks ago.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time