Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is gonna be a strange sell thread. Cross talk, and derailments are welcome and even encouraged in this one.

The deal......

My grandson Jonathan, AKA The Bubba, has found a car he wants to buy. A friend of mine has it......and the price is very good. A '95 Ford Mustang for $400.00

The good......it's a straight, rust free car that runs.

The bad......no title, or keys.

My friend Lowell buys impound yard stuff, and parks it in his junkyard. This one is no different.....except that it's not been touched yet. Jonathan is very interested in hot rods, and drag racing. Must be in his DNA, I raced for many years when I was younger, and have encouraged the kid to be a gearhead. . He wants to take this Mustang, and make a drag car out of it. Not only am I glad to see his interest, I'm looking forward to helping. That bring us to the point of this thread.

Once a deal was struck to buy the car, I informed Jon that he had ten days to find a way to pay the man. Of course, he said he'd sell some of his saws to buy the car.....but I made him a deal on some parts that he could use to build a saw to sell rather than give up his collection.....

So.......he's building an MS440

It will have some aftermarket parts. The cases, fuel tank, covers, and muffler will all be aftermarket. These parts are all new.

The bearings, crank, seals, gaskets, piston, cylinder, intake, carb, impulse line, fuel line, filter, coil, plug wire, flywheel, clutch, clutch drum, master control lever, and switch will be OEM......most are used. Of course the seals, and gaskets will be new......as will the fuel line....etc.

The badges will be OEM, and the covers will be dyed black.

It is also ported......cut squish, bridge ports, timing advance, muffler mod, etc.

Here's some pics of an 044 Jon and I built a few weeks ago. This is what the saw will look like, but it will have more new parts, and be a flippy cap saw.

20190109_192254.jpg 20190109_192249.jpg 20190109_192234.jpg 20190109_192219.jpg

So.......who's interested?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool! This will be something he will never forget.

Drop a LS motor and eBay turbo it or find a 460 and spray the daylights out if it?

The LS is what we will go with. I've already got a TH400......

Gotta get a 9" shortened.

Naturally aspirated till he gets cutting a good light down pat. Then a turbo setup for MOAR POWER.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is fantastic ! So happy to see youth not only interested in saws, but drag racing as well. Out of all of though, the real winner for me is he’s willing to sacrifice his saws, or work and build another to get the car. He’s not expecting a hand out or a freebie.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If he wasn't willing to put his time.....effort.....money in, then he wouldn't appreciate the car.

At least that's how I see it.
Exactly, which is the problem with most youth today. They have everything given to them so they don’t value or respect anything. They tear stuff up without care because it was most likely given to them, and real likely it will be replaced again for free.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly, which is the problem with most youth today. They have everything given to them so they don’t value or respect anything. They tear stuff up without care because it was most likely given to them, and real likely it will be replaced again for free.

It don't work that way in my world. Jon's dad ain't around him much......so I'm the guy he looks too for guidance. I got one shot at making him into a man that stands on his own two feet.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he wasn't willing to put his time.....effort.....money in, then he wouldn't appreciate the car.

At least that's how I see it.

That's how my old man did it with us boys...he'd help us shop for the rig, deal with the seller, even give us a small part of the purchase price...but we had to pay the bulk of it and do all the maintenance.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It don't work that way in my world. Jon's dad ain't around him much......so I'm the guy he looks too for guidance. I got one shot at making him into a man that stands on his own two feet.
He will do just fine Randy. Just from the couple times I talked with him at your place I could tell what type fella he wants to be.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice stepping up Randy. Youngins definitely need a good role model to learn from, and looks like he has a good one!!
I was fortunate to have one as well. He has the best work ethic of anyone I have seen. Just turned 70 last year, and he still works more than most people I know.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was raised in the same situation Randy. My Dad and I were worlds apart so my Grandfather was my idol and inspiration. I wouldn't be who I am without him. Nothing makes me prouder than when my Aunts tell me I'm just like Pop! You'll never know how important you are to that young man. Good luck with this venture!!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I helped him install the bearings and crankshaft....showed him how to use @Mattyo 's tools to pull it together....

Then I port matched the muffler to the jug, and he took it from there.

Today he's gonna dye the orange parts, and then we wait for a few bits from my friend @Glock37

MontanaTed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like this whole situation Randy. And a 95 stang for a drag car is [emoji108].

Any thoughts on price range. I know price is not determined but wondering if you might have a range it’ll fall in.

Last edited:

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I helped him install the bearings and crankshaft....showed him how to use @Mattyo 's tools to pull it together....

Then I port matched the muffler to the jug, and he took it from there.

Today he's gonna dye the orange parts, and then we wait for a few bits from my friend @Glock37

Anything more needed ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk