The "Broken046," and how it got MOFO'd

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'll save a lot of the gory details for another time, as they've been posted elsewhere plenty. The gist is that I picked up a 046 on a song and found that there were some issues...

The piston was toast, cylinder scored, it was missing the start assembly, and it simply needed gone through. New rubber bits etc.

I solicited bids for a rebuild and port job and I accepted the offer from JMS to build the 046. All seemed well, then a friend @Ryan Browne told me I should check out a thread here regarding a certain 064 which was fubar. I did, and opened my saw to see what I'd find...and it wasn't good.

Thanks to some of you lovely folks @dolmarkid @Ryan Browne @Duane(Pa) @dall @Mastermind @drf256 (I hope I didn't miss anyone...), Al took my saw in for a teardown and rebuild...the right way.

8/20/17: I'd like to add a huge thanks to other folks who joined in big ways to help with this build... @Onan18 , @Definitive Dave , the mysterious powder coater, and a huge huge thanks again to @dall . This guy contributed so much to this saw, I can't thank him enough.

Here's a beauty shot of my saw before I sent her off to him. At least she looked good on the outside!
IMG_20170720_115745497_HDR.jpg

Expect lots of pictures and commentary! I can't wait to see what Al finds inside.

Last edited:

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Jim, I've only skimmed the surface. The first sign of trouble was a million small peck marks fused into one, from the piston slapping the spark plug electrode. Secondly, I removed the muffler and found large amounts of scoring all around the piston and cylinder.

On the very surface, a stripped top cover bolt, which wasn't before.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Jim, I've only skimmed the surface. The first sign of trouble was a million small peck marks fused into one, from the piston slapping the spark plug electrode. Secondly, I removed the muffler and found large amounts of scoring all around the piston and cylinder.

Seriously, the saw came back with a scored piston??

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're absolutely right! Editing to fix that.

Thank you all for the huge amount of help and support!

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Well that definitely isn't what you paid for.

Last edited: