The Antique And Classic Garden Tractor Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one that goes back in time .Huskie walk behind circa 1951 .My dad bought this thing when I was just a wee lad and traded ,with some money added using a Farmall F14 tractor as trade .It has a seeder ,cultivators and little tiny plows .It also has a home made v plow for snow .It's only maybe at best 2.5 HP but it's geared so low you can't stall it

Attachments

• DSCN0463.jpg
    DSCN0463.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 36

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of my 1967 657 Wheel Horse, I owned it for 22 years, sold it about five years ago, was the best snowplowing lawn tractor I've ever owned, kinda miss the old gal.....:(DSCF0021.JPG

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another vintage classic I still own, not my pic, but the same mower, 1967ish Garden Mark Turf-Trac made for Montgomery wards, mine still runs and mows lol, may bust it out again this year.....:)View attachment 168698
i had one just like it when i was a teen i think a 25 inch cut i abused that thing and broke the frame where the throttle is

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Search function working better?
Found this while hunting WH 312H hydro adjust info.
Cool pics.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this thread back, many cool and desirable old "garden" tractors. I've seen a few of the kubota powered ones at sales, and they usually have a lot of interest.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it’s good too keep this thread going there so cool these tractors

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20191125_111918.jpg

This is my '65 Bolens 600. My parents bought it sometime in the early 80's for $25 at a yard sale, so they would have something to mow and do chores with on their new-to-them homestead. I grew up plowing snow, mowing grass, and hauling a little bit of everthing around in a yard cart behind this 6hp machine. I have a thousand hours of my childhood spent on that seat; doing chores or just pretending I wasn't poor, and this was my go-kart.

My father and I rebuilt the engine sometime in the mid 90's. It still has the original recoil started 6hp Briggs & Stratton, with an air vane governor. It has a parking spot in my shop and I hope to do a restoration on it sometime in the next year or two with my two sons.

We almost scrapped it about 10 years ago. Dad was getting tired of the "junk" that accumulates around barns and homesteads, so he got a metal dumpster dropped off at the house. I went over there on a Saturday to help him start cleaning up, and the Bolens was on his list of things to go. It had been in the same spot for nearly 10 years, behind the barn. All 4 tires were flat, but the engine was still loose. On a whim, I put a bit of fuel in the tank and she fired up and idled on the 3rd pull. All 4 tires held air, so I drove it down the barn hill into the dumpster. I shut the fuel off and was watching it run the carb dry, when my dad joined me. When it finally quit, we both looked at each other, and then promptly loaded the tractor into my empty pickup. Some things are worth more than their weight in scrap.

I will get some better pictures next time I have it out, if anyone is interested.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 379834

This is my '65 Bolens 600. My parents bought it sometime in the early 80's for $25 at a yard sale, so they would have something to mow and do chores with on their new-to-them homestead. I grew up plowing snow, mowing grass, and hauling a little bit of everthing around in a yard cart behind this 6hp machine. I have a thousand hours of my childhood spent on that seat; doing chores or just pretending I wasn't poor, and this was my go-kart.

My father and I rebuilt the engine sometime in the mid 90's. It still has the original recoil started 6hp Briggs & Stratton, with an air vane governor. It has a parking spot in my shop and I hope to do a restoration on it sometime in the next year or two with my two sons.

We almost scrapped it about 10 years ago. Dad was getting tired of the "junk" that accumulates around barns and homesteads, so he got a metal dumpster dropped off at the house. I went over there on a Saturday to help him start cleaning up, and the Bolens was on his list of things to go. It had been in the same spot for nearly 10 years, behind the barn. All 4 tires were flat, but the engine was still loose. On a whim, I put a bit of fuel in the tank and she fired up and idled on the 3rd pull. All 4 tires held air, so I drove it down the barn hill into the dumpster. I shut the fuel off and was watching it run the carb dry, when my dad joined me. When it finally quit, we both looked at each other, and then promptly loaded the tractor into my empty pickup. Some things are worth more than their weight in scrap.

I will get some better pictures next time I have it out, if anyone is interested.
Thanks for sharing that. Made me smile.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn this thread makes me miss my old Ingersoll/Case. She was a beast of a tractor with those 16” real wheels and chains. Had a mower deck and a snow blade for it. Deck was hydrostatic therefore the blade lifted that way as well. Wish I never sold it.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn this thread makes me miss my old Ingersoll/Case. She was a beast of a tractor with those 16” real wheels and chains. Had a mower deck and a snow blade for it. Deck was hydrostatic therefore the blade lifted that way as well. Wish I never sold it.

We had a 220 and a 446. I too regret seeing them go. The 446 even had the hydra drive tiller!!

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a 220 and a 446. I too regret seeing them go. The 446 even had the hydra drive tiller!!
There are a lot of them in this area, being that J.I.Case was 15 miles away. A friend has a 226 with an original Case wood splitter attachment. He can split wood with the Onan running just above idle. They are a bear to work on, so guess who they bring them to.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
728 simplicity no mower deck but have the snow blower which is almost like new , mid 60's. lot of seat time on the 727 and 728 . same unit just the 728 had electric start.