TEMCo Auto Sharpener - User Review Thread

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has it been mentioned what the intended service life is for a compact machine such as this?

The engineers at least got a WAG as to how many 72DL loops they think it could crank out before replacement is needed?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert, once you've gotten acquainted with the machine, will you be doing a cut performance test?
No. I am evaluating the grinder. Cut tests need something to compare against, and there is wide variation in the ways others sharpen their chains, the type(s) of cutting they do, and even their saws.

I have offered to sharpen a loop on the TEMCo for others, if they cover postage, if they want to do, and post, their own comments.

Philbert

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What use is that? That's like doing a review on a sports car just based on how it looks and a quick trip around the block and not doing timed laps and 0-60. It would be pretty safe to compare it to factory ground chain or maybe something filled with a rigid non-adjustable jig like the stihl/pferd. I guess when this gets passed around to someone else they can do it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. Gotta see if the grind will cut wood. And compare it to simple round file chain. I am sure Phil will put a chain in some wood when he gets the chance. Weather still rules out there! [emoji106]

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think there are two things in play here.

Right now, Philbert is evaluating "How does the machine work?", which would be a comparison of setup time and running time, vs. just setting up a manual grinder and doing it yourself, or hand filing. Things that could be compared by measuring how long it takes him personally to do something, versus another thing.

A completely different test is "How does it cut?" You would need a baseline (Off the roll LGX?), and lots of variables can come into play. We all have ground a cutter that looks fast, but doesn't last, or one that doesn't look sporty, but it goes forever. That's all in the setup, and will vary quite a bit.

I think that sticking to the scientific method of "One variable at a time" is good, although it does take a long time to go through all of the variables.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What use is that? That's like doing a review on a sports car just based on how it looks and a quick trip around the block and not doing timed laps and 0-60. It would be pretty safe to compare it to factory ground chain or maybe something filled with a rigid non-adjustable jig like the stihl/pferd. I guess when this gets passed around to someone else they can do it.
^^This^^^
I don't care if it will win a race or not..

If it's grind is within 10% of the factory grind, it would be acceptable.. We're going for quantity here, not quality..

If I wanted super lightning results, I'd just send all my chains to Thomas to file...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send me a chain, then take the time to do a thorough comparison. Then post your results.

Philbert