Tell me about the Stihl 056 magnum

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an opportunity to pick up an 056 for very little. The current owner said the saw runs, but he had noticed the oiler had stopped working. He told me something failed with the pump/gear, and the gear walked out and rubbed through the cover.
The only other info I have on it is that it is an 056 Magnum AV. I was also told that he has used it very little due to the size and weight of it, but I am not sure what constitutes "very little" in his world.
I read that the ignition on these can be problematic, and difficult to obtain parts for.

Is there anything else to know about this big old beast?
I have never had my hands on one of these, so any info will be welcomed.

The current owner lives about 50 miles away, but I have a friend who lives near him that will be picking it up for me, so I likely won't see it (or be able to post pics) for about a week or so.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ignition can be problems. There was a capacitor fix for the Bosch but not the sem or vice versa

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks.
I did find something on the interwebz regarding that. It seems the ts350 or something as far as a concrete saw can potentially be used for a donor depending on which ignition one has.
As far as I know, this one currently runs.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Nephew's friend currently has 3 of em running, and loves em. Says they are very strong.

He may have parts for them, but he stopped participating on the forums.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 056 series are great machines for milling. The aftermarket is starting to produce quite a few parts for them, such as: air filters, ignitions, pistons, and covers.

The tough parts to get: mufflers, replacement SEM ignitions, PTO side crankcase bearings, and smalls.

Great saws and people have slayed a lot of timber with them.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so aside from the potential of ignition issues, there doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with them.
Hopefully once I get it in hand, I can locate parts for the oil pump issue and get it running as it should.
If it ends up being too much of a turd, I could always tear it down, slather it with turd polish, and set it on my kitchen table with a flower in the spark plug hole for those special days I want to really impress my wife.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's about the same size as an MS650 or an 064 but weighs a little more than either. Very little plastic and lots of metal. Sometimes they stop starting because the owner forgets to fasten the ignition wire when assembling the pull cord housing after a fix or clean up. That wire uses one of the housing bolts, a rather ridiculous design. Finding parts is not going to be easy, but at one time they sold for about $600 new when $600 was worth over $1000 today.

I restored one that had half a dozen things wrong with it about five years ago for $100. The owner couldn't wait to write out the check. Pics of what it looked like before I started are available upon request. I can't find any "after" pics.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have 1 and love it, sem ignition from a Husqvarna 2100 is still available and fits right on, at least that's what inwas told, I know they are available, as I bought one a couple months ago. Keep a nos Bosch on my shelf for mine.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 056 mag is a 94cc powerhouse that'll spank the crap out of the 1122 series saws.
045/056 parts are fairly easy to find until you get into muffler replacement and handlebars.

I'd be interested to see what yourself or our other builders here could do with an 056 Mag. There was a long time faller out of Rogue River
that refused to give up the 056 Mag for years (I think he had a dozen runners) and even modified one to accept an 084 carb.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah Jacob, me too. Now that I've got my hands on that mag II cylinder of Frank's, with the blown out transfer bridges, I'm one step closer to finding out. A big thank you to @Frank bierce for that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stock head to head comparison with a 394/395. Same bore and stroke, flat top piston versus dome.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah Jacob, me too. Now that I've got my hands on that mag II cylinder of Frank's, with the blown out transfer bridges, I'm one step closer to finding out. A big thank you to @Frank bierce for that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stock head to head comparison with a 394/395. Same bore and stroke, flat top piston versus dome.
I can do that. I have 394 and mag2 sitting in garage.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
056’s by themselves are pretty impressive saws. A well ported Mag2 would be on another level!!

I’ll be excited to see what you can do with it!!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you think a mag 2 is impressive you have to run a jonsered 930 super.