Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop

Discussion in 'Chainsaws' started by Philbert, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

I like stump vises: I like the guide bar and chain held stable when I file, so that I can use both hands to control the file, and so that I don't have to contort my body to hold the saw when sharpening in the field.

So I was interested in this one, which has a chain stop / pawl to hold the chain the same way that Tecomec and Oregon grinders do. This eliminates the need to repetitively activate the chain brake, or to mess with chain tension just for sharpening.

IMG_2675.jpg

Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop (model10909008)
    http://www.tecomec.com/category/_chain_saw_accessories/index.htm

The first thing I noticed is that this vice is slightly smaller than the 'standard' ones. The main casting is pretty heavy, with a unique, 'T'-shaped mounting prong (the other leg is actually a depth stop). Holds well: I actually had to pry this one out after using it.

IMG_2749.JPG

The small rod feels a little light, but tightens the clamping screw securely. Due to the chain stop this model has a number of small fasteners that a typical stump vise would not. I did add a drop of Loctite to one of the small nuts, and snugged it up a bit more, just to make sure that I would not lose it.

I really like the chain stop feature; it speeds up the filing process, and feels very familiar to me as a grinder user. Worth the added bit of complexity.

IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg

This model sells for about $17 online. The same stump vise without the chain stop sells for a few dollars less.

Philbert

Attached Files:

sawfun, Lootbug, Wilhelm and 8 others like this.
  2. merc_man

merc_man merc_man

Thays a nice one.
    I got an oregon on and a home made one. I use the homemade one most of the time. I dont usually sharpen that often in the bush unless the wood is dirty and dulling the chain.
    Will have to have a look at the saw shoo and see if we have them vices over here yet.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

3. mortalitool

mortalitool aka Nick Stoeckel

Cool Philbert!

Thanks for sharing with all of us.

merc_man, Philbert and RI Chevy like this.
  4. RI Chevy

RI Chevy DollyStihlvarna Runner ????

I primarily use my chain vise exclusively now. But that is a cool design.

merc_man and Philbert like this.
  5. Derf

Derf Pinnacle OPE Member

Someone should pat a guy at Tecomec on the back for improving on the age old stump vise design.

Things I like:
    - The pawl to stop the chain
    - The T handle design of the clamp, like a real vise instead of a wing-nut style screw.
    - the single leg if that’s all you need

Things I question:
    - there looks to be limited space to hit the top and drive it into a stump.
    - where you are supposed to hit is right next to the arm mechanism, which probably won’t take a direct blow too well
    - a plastic thumb nut to secure the arm with the pawl (really?)
    - excessive hardware provides multiple failure opportunities.

merc_man, jk14 and Philbert like this.
  6. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Pinnacle OPE Member

It looks like the chain stop assembly can easily be removed for the purpose of banging the vise into a log.

RI Chevy, jk14 and Philbert like this.
  7. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Pinnacle OPE Member

You're probably supposed to remove the pawl assembly in order to drive it into a round. Not the best solution but I do like the overall design of this thing.

RI Chevy, jk14 and Philbert like this.
  8. Philbert

Yes, yes, and yes. All valid points.

As noted by @Wilhelm and @MarkEagleUSA, I removed the chain stop part before setting the main/anvil portion with a hammer.

The 'polymer' (sounds better than 'plastic'?) knob is actually a threaded screw, about 5/8" long (but probably metric). You could replace this with a thumb screw and washer if lost, damaged, or just preferred.

The additional hardware for the chain pawl (2 springs / circlips, 2 small nuts) are pretty simple hardware store items, and proven on thousands of Tecomec and Oregon chain grinders. Yeah, they could get lost in the field; that's why I applied some Loctite on the nuts, and carry it in a small pouch. Yeah, it is more complicated than a basic stump vise, but that is the cost of the added feature.

Philbert

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Wilhelm, merc_man and RI Chevy like this.
  9. Philbert

File Guide Clearance

This was an issue raised on 'another' site. I sharpened this chain (STIHL MS 261, .325 pitch) with a standard Oregon file guide, filing one or two cutters ahead of the stop / pawl, or in some cases, placing the pawl behind a depth gauge. It held the chain fine for sharpening with a sharp file.

IMG_2676.jpg

Philbert

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018