Tecomec pistons (PORTING HELP)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HF just had their grinding tool on sale for $6.99, but if you missed it, it is regularly $8.99! I printed my degree wheel off the net. The folks on this site have already done all the heavy lifting and will give you advice. It is now just a matter of wanting your saw to run better!

That said, my best running saws have been sent out, but I have improved performance quite a bit, right here, by myself (with advice from others). It is work, but the rocket science part has already been done.

A great running saw just puts a smile on your face!

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HF just had their grinding tool on sale for $6.99, but if you missed it, it is regularly $8.99! I printed my degree wheel off the net. The folks on this site have already done all the heavy lifting and will give you advice. It is now just a matter of wanting your saw to run better!

That said, my best running saws have been sent out, but I have improved performance quite a bit, right here, by myself (with advice from others). It is work, but the rocket science part has already been done.

You are correct sir. They have done all the experiments and are very willing to help,I just need to get motivated , start finding the tools and get to figuring out how to do it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've got a dremel hand piece that I do a lot with, but I can't see how I'd get in and around the exhaust/intake ports unless I just do it with a ball type. I'd imagine some can be done from outside in.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a dremel hand piece that I do a lot with, but I can't see how I'd get in and around the exhaust/intake ports unless I just do it with a ball type. I'd imagine some can be done from outside in.
I’m a Dremel warrior too and outside/in is exactly how you get it done. 3” shank burrs are mandatory. Chamfer with a tapered stone bit. Transfers can be tricky if you don’t have removable covers. And the smaller the bore the more screwed you are with transfers and a dremel. I managed to work my 357XP “good enough” but any smaller bore than that and it really doesn’t work.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a Dremel warrior too and outside/in is exactly how you get it done. 3” shank burrs are mandatory. Chamfer with a tapered stone bit. Transfers can be tricky if you don’t have removable covers. And the smaller the bore the more screwed you are with transfers and a dremel. I managed to work my 357XP “good enough” but any smaller bore than that and it really doesn’t work.
Where did you get you 3" bits

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to use the diamond balls for the chamfers, ebay has lots of low cost 1/8" shank stuff. If I need to lower the intake I will often do it with a half round file. Exhaust ports I do from the outside in, watching from the inside.

Transfers can be tough, but if you remove the plating with a diamond burr you can use a stone to remove aluminum, giving you a 90* angle.

If you think it through, it can be done.

But even before porting, a muff mod, timing advance +/or base gasket delete can really wake up a lot of saws. Some of them will run like they are ported.

If your transfers look good, leave them alone, you can mess things up. Get a good set of timing #s from someone who has experience with your model saw, check where your #s are, and come up with a plan.

I just checked a 066 jug with a Meteor piston on a Asian 660, w/o base gasket. Sq is only .010, Ex 98, Tr 122 and In 80.5. I think the #s are good, so I am going to sand .010 from the squish and widen the top of the exhaust and leave the rest of it like it is. I also filed .020 off the key to advance the timing a bit.

Once you start, and see the gains, it is addictive! I did several of the 440 BB kits, each time adding a few addl mods, and as the performance increased it encouraged me.

Good Luck with it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
066 with timing wheel I printed from the net, backed with carboard and some closed cell foam to grip the axle (also taped).

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_190239200.jpg
    IMG_20181216_190239200.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 18

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to use the diamond balls for the chamfers, ebay has lots of low cost 1/8" shank stuff. If I need to lower the intake I will often do it with a half round file. Exhaust ports I do from the outside in, watching from the inside.

Transfers can be tough, but if you remove the plating with a diamond burr you can use a stone to remove aluminum, giving you a 90* angle.

If you think it through, it can be done.

But even before porting, a muff mod, timing advance +/or base gasket delete can really wake up a lot of saws. Some of them will run like they are ported.

If your transfers look good, leave them alone, you can mess things up. Get a good set of timing #s from someone who has experience with your model saw, check where your #s are, and come up with a plan.

I just checked a 066 jug with a Meteor piston on a Asian 660, w/o base gasket. Sq is only .010, Ex 98, Tr 122 and In 80.5. I think the #s are good, so I am going to sand .010 from the squish and widen the top of the exhaust and leave the rest of it like it is. I also filed .020 off the key to advance the timing a bit.

Once you start, and see the gains, it is addictive! I did several of the 440 BB kits, each time adding a few addl mods, and as the performance increased it encouraged me.

Good Luck with it.
Thanks for the encouragement bud. I'm gonna start looking and see what I can find. Once I get some stuff I may try it on my 2159 since I have an extra used cylinder for it. Then progress to another one.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What shapes of burs do yall normally use. I'm seeing quite a few options

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got something done with this project today. Got my degree wheel made up
0cb45292446f7a38b7a0d0b35f51bc74.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now just make a wire pointer that bolts to the case that you can adjust. Then use a piston stop and rotate both ways, adjust TDC to the middle.

Intake opens from the bottom, exhaust and upper transfer from the top. I use my bright bicycle light to see the upper transfer through the exhaust.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't matter where on the case as long as it can be zeroed, right. I still gotta stop at hardware store tomorrow and pick up some stuff to finish with. Ordered a ball burr and egg shaped burr 1/8" shank by 3"long today. Those on Ebay look like 1/4 shank. I've got die grinders but I'd rather use my dremel. Wonder if they come in 1/8.