Tearing down my JMSSAWS, one by one...

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ring locator pin and ring ends are way over by that transfer port on these? Just trying to learn... Ive only built that Husky 55 which has it centered on the intake you can tell where it is by peering through exhaust side when assembled. Just learning here -- interesting it's biased over towards that transfer port.

I saw this thread this morning and subbed. One side effect of all of this JMS analysis is that newbies like me can learn a ton and pick up problem diagnosis skills be looking at tons of pictures and commentary from you saw Gods.

Still totally sucks Sondre that you have 6 saws to go through. Yikes. If you do any wrench or lathe days at Dan's let me know I'd like to come watch and learn!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hats off to Kevin, Al, Dan and anyone else I missed on offering to make all of this Right! You guys are stand up dudes. Hoping to see you all again sometime next GTG. Man I wish you guys were closer geographically!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pin should miss. If it didn't it already would have broke. It only takes a few revolutions to break when the ring end is in the port.
I believe you are right.

On most Stihls, the pins are in line with the skirt. Looking closer at the piston, it appears to not be directly over the skirt.

That's a great thing for Sondre.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the bore diameter Sondre?

Did you check squish?
I'll check squish tonight after work. Yes, bore is 52mm.

Looks like 52mm. I could true the base up, hone it out, and bevel it all for you. I'd need to know if he left your squish at 30 or at 12 though.

I'll help with any I can bud.
Thanks Al! I have several good guys, like you, offer to help me out. I figured I'd take them all apart first, then send them all out at the same time.

You guys see anything else terribly wrong here?

It's early and I could be wrong. Hope I am, because the jug is trash if I'm right.

View attachment 85155
If it's trash, I'm not running it, or having any of you guys waste your time truing it up.
I think Mike @mdavlee is right, though, it's. It's not far from stock.

I believe you are right.

On most Stihls, the pins are in line with the skirt. Looking closer at the piston, it appears to not be directly over the skirt.

That's a great thing for Sondre.

It's not far off a stock one if I remember right

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys want to see next? 5105? 6100? 9010? 066? 395?
I'm taking another one apart tonight, so I might as well take requests. Lol

The 5105 and the 9010 were brand new, never fueled.
The 6100 had a few tanks through it.
The 066 was ported by another reputable member before J got it. Unless J cocked with it too much, it should be pretty good.
The 395 he built from parts. That one might be shartnado. Lol. Hopefully it isn't.

Let me know what you wanna see next.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saws that have the most "ghost lines" seem to be the ones that have their bases not perpendicular to the bore. They are out of true.

You have a bunch of guys that will take care of you Sondre, say the word and you'll be all set !

Looking back now, I remember Jason posting that he could make these saws run, then I remember in the group text exactly who it was that told him how to do it. I've yet to see Jason give that guy any credit whatsoever. There was more than one saw that he needed advice from, and he got it from more than one guy. I guaran-dang-tee that if it wasnt for him being able to get specific porting information from those texts, he would have made a bunch of turds.

Again, a few guys that I'm aware of led him by the hand on a bunch of these saws, not one drop of credit or thanks was ever given, the "self centered" disposition was puke inducing.
I'm not surprised one bit by him not giving credit where credit is due. He was good at self-glorification.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll help anyway I can. All Sondre has to do is give me the ported saws in question and his problems disappear. :)

On a side note. I'm not a porter or machinist and never claimed to be. But I can help disassemble
and assemble if need be. Checking squish and a good look over.