Team Stihl needs a new captain.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hunt in the woods, 60-80 yards is the most common shooting distance, only one deer taken at over 100 yds (about 150). So I focus on bullet performance and aim for under 1 moa. I hunt with Barns X bullets even though they are a little less accurate than the Nosler Solid Base.

Used to do Woodchucks at longer range with the 220 Swift, but with all the Coyotes, Woodchucks are hard to find.
Same here Mike, being a fellow New Torker I’d imagine the conditions we hunt are very similar. All the deer I’ve downed except 2 were at 50yds or less.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, sounds like central KY. Although, my new place has some open fields so there is the possibility of a 200 yard shot when you catch them crossing through. Hopefully I can try it with my new 6.5 Creedmoor this season!
A good friend of mine lives about 35 miles SE of Lexington right near the red river gorge, beautiful country. Was just down there last fall, I need to go hunting with him again there’s some big deer down there.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure 100yds is coma inducing for you after shooting 1,000. I’d like to shoot further but we don’t have any ranges with more than 200yds. Also I just don’t have time for another hobby and distance shooting takes lots of learning plus better epuipemnt than I have. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl someday if I can find a farmer willing to loan me a field for range sessions.

I try to do load development at 2-400 yards. It can be expensive. I bought all of my fancy stuff with saw money. Ammo or loading components end up being the most expensive. I have 600 rounds through my 6.5CM.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here Mike, being a fellow New Torker I’d imagine the conditions we hunt are very similar. All the deer I’ve downed except 2 were at 50yds or less.
I've got a few farm fields i hunt and been able to pull off (and eff up)a few longer shots but mostly wooded 50yds or less here too.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope not at all, my sister in law bought a place in Camden, about an hour ride from here, looks like there's some deer in your direction
I live 8 miles south of Camden on route 13. If you’re ever in the area and feel like shooting the sh*t give me a shout. Always welcome so long as you don’t mind the John Deere in my barn;). But I also have a Farmall, everybody should have some red iron.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Dog you got there. I got one quite a while ago while Deer hunting with the 300 Win Mag. He came right under my stand (from the back), stopped and sniffed my track, snarled bearing his teeth and turned his head to the right. A split second later he was flat as a pancake on the ground and never moved again.

He is on my wall in the basement next to the Bob Cat. My brother jokes (my wife volunteers at the Humane Society) that I brought her home a Dog and a Cat!