Country flag
ok who has them?

JeffGu

Known Troublemaker
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You should edit thread title to say, Tanaka/Hitachi... just sayin'. :)

Echo-Stihl-Hitachi-1.jpg

Hmm.. there's the Hitachi CS-33EDTP in there behind the Stihl MS-201T, but don't seem to have any pics of the Tanaka TCS-33EDTP (same saw in orange) that I have...

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ecs-505
20150911_183522.jpg
ecs-3351
20140814_120621.jpg
20140814_120527.jpg

Muddsaw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I got a sweet little top handle Hitachi. Powerful lil bugger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have and use the
2x Hitachi CS40EK = Tanaka 3800
1x Hitachi CS40EM = Zenoah G5000/5200
1x Hitachi CS33EDTP

Further the
2x Hitachi RB24E

Hitachi CG22EADSLP (incl. the chainsaw extension)
Hitachi CG40 EFL
Hitachi CG40EYT
Hitachi CG25EUS (4 stroke engine)

Am I convinced? Obviously! :D

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You should edit thread title to say, Tanaka/Hitachi... just sayin'. :)

View attachment 7563

Hmm.. there's the Hitachi CS-33EDTP in there behind the Stihl MS-201T, but don't seem to have any pics of the Tanaka TCS-33EDTP (same saw in orange) that I have...
How do you like the Hitachi saw vs the echo n stihl balance power

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to run the guts off a new Hitachi top handle for a day or two, they don't look too bad at all.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd try 1 if the balance and power to weight ratio is good. but my next top handle is gunna be the stihl 150t. wish we could get the Lil echo that the European countries can get.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd try 1 if the balanc and power to weight ratio is good. but my next top handle is gunna be the stihl 150t. wish we could get the Lil echo that the European countries can get.
You want the Makita (Yamabiko made in Japan) DCS231t top handle. 23-cc's & the lightest gas chainsaw for sale today. I have 2!, I also have a MS150t. Guess which saw I grab when I have aot of trimming and small branch limbing first? The 231t has quite amazing torque for its size/displacement.

JeffGu

Known Troublemaker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How do you like the Hitachi saw vs the echo n stihl balance power?

I found the Hitachi/Tanaka saws to be heavy and a little under-powered, compared to the Stihl and Echo tophandle saws. They start and run fine, are well built and reliable, and are not expensive. I was using them for cutting up brush on the ground, and a guy that I had helping me out on a big job this past summer liked them so much that he bought them both off of me. I cut everything up into firewood on the jobsite (and even split it there, most of the time) and the brush gets cut up into kindling. Only stuff that is under 1.5" goes into my small chipper (it's a 3.5" chipper, but I don't usually put anything that big into it, as I'd rather burn wood than make mulch/chips). For this reason, I have a few small saws that I use on the ground, and I happen to prefer tophandle ones.

In the tree, I prefer the MS-150T, MS-201T and the Echo CS-271T saws. I also like the little Echo on the ground, so I'm going to buy another one of those. I will mention something I've said before... the Echo is by far and away the most reliable of those when it is hot outside. It will cut for hours on end and if you shut it off, it will start right back up, even when it is 100+ degrees F outside. None of the other tophandle saws do that. They want to die when you let off the throttle, not start back up, etc. when it's hot out. If you retune them, then you have to do it again if the temperature is only in the 80's the next day. The Echo seems to have better torque than the MS-150T and it's really noticeable when delimbing and cutting brush up on the ground for a couple of hours or so.

The MS-150T, when it's not hot out, runs great. It is easily the most snappy one and just a joy to operate. Weight and balance are wonderful, and it fits places where the Echo gets a little unwieldly and awkward. The carving bar/chain are perfect for it, especially when you have to whack off small stuff that is in tight crotches. Some folks seem to think this little pruning saw must be gimpy on stuff over 3" but it certainly is not. I don't switch to the 201 until I get into stuff over 8" and on a number of occasions I've dropped stuff where the tip of the little 12" bar was barely visible. Mine has muffler mod and timing advance, which really makes them more zippy.

The hot weather problem affects all of my saws, to varying degrees, except for two Echo saws and the M-tronic Stihl saws. I have two Mtronic MS-261C-MQ saws that I have always thought were the best all around midsize saws, since the day I bought the first one. Perfect for in the tree, with its slim profile and light weight, and plenty of power. And, none of that *B-S.... with it not running right when the weather changes. I've heard so much of that "I prefer not to use them thar newfangled, electronical type, cornpooterized saws!" crap that I'm convinced these people have no idea what tree work is like. You need saws that cut, and to do that they need to be running. A jobsite isn't a beer-guzzling, hillbilly session for turning fact into fiction, and fiction into fact. There's no extra time during the day allocated for screwing with carburator adjustments and exhausting yourself trying to get stubborn saws started. The only time I've had a MS-261C-MQ saw disappoint me was when I forgot to bring it with me.

An M-tronic version of the MS-150T and MS-201T would be really nice. I've started putting money away. In the meantime, it's another CS-271T saw I'll pick up this week. Not expensive, very reliable.... and they run when it's very hot outside.

The Hitachi/Tanaka saws, by the way, can't be run for more than about 30 minutes before they overheat and quit. No matter what the temperature is. Not usually a big problem, because most people don't run a tophandle saw for half an hour straight. I do that cutting up brush, though, so it's something to consider. This problem is well documented in dozens of online reviews of the saws.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I found the Hitachi/Tanaka saws to be heavy and a little under-powered, compared to the Stihl and Echo tophandle saws. They start and run fine, are well built and reliable, and are not expensive. I was using them for cutting up brush on the ground, and a guy that I had helping me out on a big job this past summer liked them so much that he bought them both off of me. I cut everything up into firewood on the jobsite (and even split it there, most of the time) and the brush gets cut up into kindling. Only stuff that is under 1.5" goes into my small chipper (it's a 3.5" chipper, but I don't usually put anything that big into it, as I'd rather burn wood than make mulch/chips). For this reason, I have a few small saws that I use on the ground, and I happen to prefer tophandle ones.

In the tree, I prefer the MS-150T, MS-201T and the Echo CS-271T saws. I also like the little Echo on the ground, so I'm going to buy another one of those. I will mention something I've said before... the Echo is by far and away the most reliable of those when it is hot outside. It will cut for hours on end and if you shut it off, it will start right back up, even when it is 100+ degrees F outside. None of the other tophandle saws do that. They want to die when you let off the throttle, not start back up, etc. when it's hot out. If you retune them, then you have to do it again if the temperature is only in the 80's the next day. The Echo seems to have better torque than the MS-150T and it's really noticeable when delimbing and cutting brush up on the ground for a couple of hours or so.

The MS-150T, when it's not hot out, runs great. It is easily the most snappy one and just a joy to operate. Weight and balance are wonderful, and it fits places where the Echo gets a little unwieldly and awkward. The carving bar/chain are perfect for it, especially when you have to whack off small stuff that is in tight crotches. Some folks seem to think this little pruning saw must be gimpy on stuff over 3" but it certainly is not. I don't switch to the 201 until I get into stuff over 8" and on a number of occasions I've dropped stuff where the tip of the little 12" bar was barely visible. Mine has muffler mod and timing advance, which really makes them more zippy.

The hot weather problem affects all of my saws, to varying degrees, except for two Echo saws and the M-tronic Stihl saws. I have two Mtronic MS-261C-MQ saws that I have always thought were the best all around midsize saws, since the day I bought the first one. Perfect for in the tree, with its slim profile and light weight, and plenty of power. And, none of that *B-S.... with it not running right when the weather changes. I've heard so much of that "I prefer not to use them thar newfangled, electronical type, cornpooterized saws!" crap that I'm convinced these people have no idea what tree work is like. You need saws that cut, and to do that they need to be running. A jobsite isn't a beer-guzzling, hillbilly session for turning fact into fiction, and fiction into fact. There's no extra time during the day allocated for screwing with carburator adjustments and exhausting yourself trying to get stubborn saws started. The only time I've had a MS-261C-MQ saw disappoint me was when I forgot to bring it with me.

An M-tronic version of the MS-150T and MS-201T would be really nice. I've started putting money away. In the meantime, it's another CS-271T saw I'll pick up this week. Not expensive, very reliable.... and they run when it's very hot outside.

The Hitachi/Tanaka saws, by the way, can't be run for more than about 30 minutes before they overheat and quit. No matter what the temperature is. Not usually a big problem, because most people don't run a tophandle saw for half an hour straight. I do that cutting up brush, though, so it's something to consider. This problem is well documented in dozens of online reviews of the saws.
Can you make a vid of the 150t mm saw we have 2 of the 150t brand new at work and love how light they are, very quiet and yeah they will cut full bar if you let it do its job. curious was the modded saw will do

JeffGu

Known Troublemaker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll see if I can do that this week. I think this is the only short video I have of the saw running...

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is great, discussing stihl saws in the Hitachi/Tanaka thread! :lol:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have Tanaka hedge trimmers which i rate highly but im thinking of trying a small saw . Anyone have info or a opinion on this one (see pic) ?

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.20.57.png

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea about the chainsaws, but I know that after Hitachi bought them out that some of their manufacturing has moved to China. I have a split shaft trimmer from them and it's excellent. It's from Japan, though. I did compare it side by side at the dealer with a new Chinese model and that seemed very well built as well. They also have a crazy warranty, like 7 years. I also know a couple people who have some of their Chinese stuff and are happy with it.

I'd have zero hesitation owning their Japanese stuff, and if the price was right on the Chinese models, I'd certainly give one a try.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have no idea about the chainsaws, but I know that after Hitachi bought them out that some of their manufacturing has moved to China. I have a split shaft trimmer from them and it's excellent. It's from Japan, though. I did compare it side by side at the dealer with a new Chinese model and that seemed very well built as well. They also have a crazy warranty, like 7 years. I also know a couple people who have some of their Chinese stuff and are happy with it.

I'd have zero hesitation owning their Japanese stuff, and if the price was right on the Chinese models, I'd certainly give one a try.
Hi Ryan.
There hedge trimmers are my go to recommendation to customers and the Hitachi versions seem just the same but with a different number.
This saw is made in Japan and on Tanaka's website is there "Pro" model so i thought the 2nd hand one might be worth a bid. The Tanaka..Hitachi family seem to be so close in design and quality along with Echo I just wonder if there is a connection .

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have Tanaka hedge trimmers which i rate highly but im thinking of trying a small saw . Anyone have info or a opinion on this one (see pic) ?

View attachment 56451
I have the same saw one engine size smaller as the ecv 3801. GREAT saw!!! Old school, ~20 year old design, classic design, wild reving(14500rpm). They are real Tanaka design and have nothing to do with echo.

Hitachi Germany dumped their inventory a few years ago and I started a little craz on Hitachi = Tanaka products in a german forum. I have since sold off my Husqvarna and most Stihl stuff.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the same saw one engine size smaller as the ecv 3801. GREAT saw!!! Old school, ~20 year old design, classic design, wild reving(14500rpm). They are real Tanaka design and have nothing to do with echo.

Hitachi Germany dumped their inventory a few years ago and I started a little craz on Hitachi = Tanaka products in a german forum. I have since sold off my Husqvarna and most Stihl stuff.

Thanks for the information :)...That answers my wonderings as to a Echo connection.
That saw made a "Very" stout price and i was outbid.....will definitely be on the look out for another .

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0714.JPG
Thanks for the information :)...That answers my wonderings as to a Echo connection.
That saw made a "Very" stout price and i was outbid.....will definitely be on the look out for another .

I had two here in the last year Simon one hitachi CA-33 pure fire
And the tanaka 4501 like your photo I've sold them on now but they started and ran well I thought the 4501 would feel like the husky42 with its narrow body and long legs IMG_0713.JPG