High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Talk to me about PA

Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looking to move closer to family (New England) but I am a conservative 2nd Amendment supporting 100% disabled-veteran with no criminal record, all of which is frowned upon in my home state or in New England in general. (Yes this paints with a broad brush, but it is what it is). So, looking in Pennsylvania, mostly in the NorthEast corner of the state.

Any insights?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's better than NY as far as personal freedom, etc. Basically go to the courthouse and fill out your paperwork. The Sheriff will do a background check, and you get your LTC fairly easily.

I lived for a few years in VA, and the taxes are higher here in PA, but you do get more in the way of public services than is typical in the south, so it's a trade-off.

Land can be cheap, if you get the right area, and don't care about mineral rights for oil & gas.

A lot depends on where you live. If you're going to New York / New England a lot to visit family, you will probably want to land somewhere near I-80, or close to the NY state line, where you can jump on I-86.

Basically somewhere close to beaglebriar and me...

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's better than NY as far as personal freedom, etc. Basically go to the courthouse and fill out your paperwork. The Sheriff will do a background check, and you get your LTC fairly easily.

I lived for a few years in VA, and the taxes are higher here in PA, but you do get more in the way of public services than is typical in the south, so it's a trade-off.

Land can be cheap, if you get the right area, and don't care about mineral rights for oil & gas.

A lot depends on where you live. If you're going to New York / New England a lot to visit family, you will probably want to land somewhere near I-80, or close to the NY state line, where you can jump on I-86.

Basically somewhere close to beaglebriar and me...

Up around I84-I80 area is where we have been looking. From what I found being 100% disabled through the VA means no property taxes. I want country living, I hate cities and would LIKE at least 2 acres, preferably closer to 10.

Plus, Yuengling is cheap in PA

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Up around I84-I80 area is where we have been looking. From what I found being 100% disabled through the VA means no property taxes. I want country living, I hate cities and would LIKE at least 2 acres, preferably closer to 10.

For a decent home on 10 acres you're probably looking at $200,000- 250,000 depending on location. That can vary though... you can find a fixer upper for less or something fancy for a lot more.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How rural do you want to be? 15 minutes away from civilization, or banjo territory?

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fixer upper is ok as long as its not toooooo bad. Needs to be move-in capable. Have found quite a few properties I really liked, but they seem to go really fast. I found a gorgeous place on 2.2 acres and backed up to 1,700 acres of National Forest for $164k; it sold in less than 96 hours.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking to move closer to family (New England) but I am a conservative 2nd Amendment supporting 100% disabled-veteran with no criminal record, all of which is frowned upon in my home state or in New England in general. (Yes this paints with a broad brush, but it is what it is). So, looking in Pennsylvania, mostly in the NorthEast corner of the state.

Any insights?

How about Live Free or Die New Hampshire?

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How about Live Free or Die New Hampshire?

My parents live in NH. While its nice, it is being over run by people from Masshole-achussettes and they are trying to turn it i to the same high-tax, FSA “paradise” they fled. Becoming VERY pricey and isn’t all that Veteran friendly at the moment, unless you go way up North. Problem with that is health care/VA coverage. I’ll be honest; I have a lot of medical issues. I need to be relatively close to reliable and consistent medical care.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My parents live in NH. While its nice, it is being over run by people from Masshole-achussettes and they are trying to turn it i to the same high-tax, FSA “paradise” they fled. Becoming VERY pricey and isn’t all that Veteran friendly at the moment, unless you go way up North. Problem with that is health care/VA coverage. I’ll be honest; I have a lot of medical issues. I need to be relatively close to reliable and consistent medical care.

Was a nice place when I saw it 25 years ago, had some of the most lax gun laws in the nation as I recall, best being Wyoming, they only have one gun law and it states that there will be no gun laws. Other states have stacks of them.
Some places have different ideas of what infringed means I guess. Lol

Good luck on your quest.