Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I've never spent much time around quads, but now my wife says we might need one for moving a mobile pig hut she's planning. And well, you know, if the wife says buy a 4-wheeler, you'd better jump at the opportunity before she changes her mind. :)

Anyway, since I've got zero experience with these things, I'd like some basic recommendations. I'm looking for a 4x4 model that's more of a work horse than a recreational model. Electric start would be nice. Some kind of automatic would be cool, but not a deal breaker. I'm thinking the rig we'll be towing will be on a wagon, so no tongue weight, but somewhere around 1-2000# behind it. I'm not trying to spend more than $1500-2000, but I suppose I could possibly stretch that a hair. I want something that's known to be pretty reliable and with good parts support.

So, is there a quad like that out there? My other option would probably be either an electric golf cart (worried about the towing capacity there) or another tractor, but I don't want a gas tractor and I don't want to spend $6k+ for the kind of tractor I want right this minute.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ryan

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 2003 honda rubicon,, over 6000 miles and one wheel bearing. Still have it an plow sno with it.
On my second yamaha grizzly a 660 and 700 good machines. Dont get 600 they had issues. Still have a 700.
None of the above have been babied,, the 1st grizzly was written off once and beat on,, it is still going.
Im partial to japenese machines. Not a polaris fan.
Good Luck

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You wont even buy a new chinese ATV for $2000 unless its used. There all electric start now a days and have been for decades. I like hondas. They hold their value and just last. In your range your obviously i guess looking at a used machine. If you have any hills you probably would need 4wd to tow 2000 pounds up a muddy field. An electric golf cart could tow this as well but in wet areas would probably struggle for traction towing that kind of weight.

There just like other things when you buy them. Look them over well. Look for signs of abuse and over use, test it out and ask questions. I would not buy one where they left the snorkle on it or you see gobs of silicone around the air box and carb or anything!! Haha ...look up soggy bottom boys on youtube and see what i am talking about and all the related videos.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Yep, looking for something used. Although I suppose I could look at financing options. Kubota for example makes the financing look so appealing it's hard to buy a used tractor.

4x4 is definitely on the list if we go with a quad. A golf cart obviously doesn't have that option. 90% of the time we'll be towing on easy ground. Flatish or downhill. I can always grab a tractor for backup, but I want this rig to be good for the majority of the time. I also don't want to get pushed around too much coming down hills.

Mostly models that have worked great, or what to avoid is what I'm looking for.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont thinkba golf cart would be puched as much as an ATV they are heavier. Now i have an older 2wd honda 300trx but it weighs half as much as my electric golf cart that weighs in around 1000 pounds.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ryan Browne I have a polaris sportsman 450 it's a 500 with less bore. It has electric and pull start. I paid $3200 from a dealer with a winch and a new plow. It only had 150 miles. My dad has had a sportsman 500 since 2010, 1 belt, intake boot and a CV boot have been replaced.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't want a golf cart Ryan, they are not a tractor.
Get a 4x4 with high lo range.

I know they're not a 4x4, but I do really want a golf cart just for cruising around. Actually, what I really want is a nice side by side, especially an electric one, but that's way out of the budget. A golf cart would get used a lot on the farm. A quad would too, of course. Unfortunately I'll probably end up with that Jeep, a quad, and a golf cart eventually, instead of just a UTV that would do the same thing as all three. Just gotta think about which one to add next. I know people with property use their quads a lot, so that seems like it might be the way to go.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an electei lifted cart and an atv. Carts are great for roads and terrible in the woods. You feel every stick you hit and roots you have to creep over. My 30 year old ATV i can tear down my woods road at 40mph smoother than the golf cart. The big low pressure tires help. Now if i put 8" rims back on my cart and the 23" tires it woud smooth out more than the 23" tires and 12" rims. But i would loose road speed and handeling, i can easily go over 20mph.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CvI have a Honda 250 Rubicon that gets used for way more than it should. It’s been very reliable and I got it for 600 bucks. It’s only 2wd... I’d definitely go for a 4x4 with HI & Low next time.

View attachment 168135

View attachment 168136
I have a 300trx. It's big brother. I paid $500 like 7 years ago

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Polaris 500 is a good machine. We have used them in our agency and at home and have had no issues. The newer 570 is stronger but I’ve had issues with the one I have now. You can’t go wrong with a Honda rancher or foreman either.

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Love my Polaris ace. Started making them in 2014 so may not be in budget yet. Sit in (not on) like a SxS but only one seat. Much safer with roll cage, seatbelt, net side “doors”. Done nothing to it other than fix stupid mistakes of its owner. Regularly tow 24” x 12’ oak logs in a logrite atv arch. Liquid cooled, hi/low 4wd, 32hp out of 325cc.

W

jehinten

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just bought a used 4 wheeler this past year because my wife kept asking for one. I went with one off of craigslist for $800 and have been very happy with it. It is a 96 Suzuki kingquad 300, electric start 4x4 high/low/super low and differential lock for the front end. You certainly feel it if you pull a trailer with much tounge weight, but it does pull it and its light enough and has enough torque to be fun to play with. I looked up reviews online first and read nothing but good things about it. The sellers asking price was $1,000 but after talking to him for a bit he let it go for $800.