High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tales from the bench

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a kinda funny one. Customer brought an 031 in complaining it was running Lean and Flooding out. Does that make sense? lol
So I fired the saw and it flooded out...blew the spark plug dry....held at WOT and finally she spit and sputtered until things cleared up.....but it was FAR from lean....never stopped smoking and wouldn't idle period. Well, time to dig in the carb...WHICH!!!! Stop Here! Need to mention....CUSTOMER rebuilt. Ah ha!!! Pull the carb apart and sure enough! The diaphragm is there...spacer gasket Not...the fuel pump gasket is there...spacer gasket Not. DERRR!!! Also the fuel line was so stretchy I could use it as a sock(Getting close to Randy's legs), and the muffler was cracked at the flange. Needless to say it didn't take much to convince the customer it was time to retire the saw. lol My story. Later gents.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
retire the saw because it needs a fuel line and the kit properly installed?
fuel line is still available through stihl and the carb kit is availble through rotary or stens.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
retire the saw because it needs a fuel line and the kit properly installed?
fuel line is still available through stihl and the carb kit is availble through rotary or stens.
More than just those two. lol Guess I shoulda mentioned the saw was worn out to. Poorly taken care of and just a ton of small stuff wrong.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those stupid 031 molded fuel lines theres no easy fix you have to use the oem style.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So finally got all parts and time to finish up the 281/288 for a guy. Recap: he ruined p/c using piston screwdriver for piston stop. Replaced that with ks p/c. Then i found he had taken top off carb and didnt line up dowel and forced it on. Mushroomed the dowel. Now I am installing b/c and find the clutch is turning the sprocket full time but doesnt look engaged. The bell is not seated into the oil drive gear so the clutch is bottoming out!!
Thats 3 for 3. Everything he touched he has messed up.
IMG_1435.JPG

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So finally got all parts and time to finish up the 281/288 for a guy. Recap: he ruined p/c using piston screwdriver for piston stop. Replaced that with ks p/c. Then i found he had taken top off carb and didnt line up dowel and forced it on. Mushroomed the dowel. Now I am installing b/c and find the clutch is turning the sprocket full time but doesnt look engaged. The bell is not seated into the oil drive gear so the clutch is bottoming out!!
Thats 3 for 3. Everything he touched he has messed up.
View attachment 42153
Some people just don't have it man.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was framing houses I could tell in about 15 minutes if a guy was worth keeping around.

What did the ones do that you got rid of them? I can't seem to get let go for nothing. Old, overweight, slowing down and I still have to go throw plywood on a roof tomorrow. When will it ever end? LOL

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i did a side job with a couple buddys and within 20 minutes i knew one hadnt did that kind of work and was lazy on what he was doing ill not use him on another side job