T540XP tank vent replacement options

Mountains

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi All,

After approaching the local Husqvarna dealer and Husqvarna Australia about the tank vent issue with the T540XP, both don't seem to know about it. Husqvarna Australia denies its been an problem here, only in North America, which is bollocks , the local dealer just doesn't really service many arborists running that saw so isn't familiar with it.

So the problem is when the tank vent fails, well first its failed, secondly its spills fuel into the underside of the air filter, flooding the engine and in my case when its bad it tends to also run down the side of the saw near the muffler, a potentially explosive situation. Tank vent has been diagnosed as faulty in my case by not achieving the 10 - 45 kpa of outward pressure during pressure test as detailed in the workshop manual. It opened barely above atmospheric pressure.

It has been addressed in a service flash by Husqvarna (USA I guess), which the dealer in Australia found on their system too once I showed them a printout of the service flash.

So it seems I have three options:

OPTION #1

Replace the tank vent with the same setup as the original. That would work but if it fails or its really hot, perhaps I'll still have the same problem.

OPTION #2.

Replace it as per the service flash I've attached. This reroutes the tank vent away from the air intake so should stop the flooding. I've ordered the parts in the flash which are:

537 05 18-01 cap
516 00 33-01 suction hose
513 75 15-01 breather.

My question here is, as this all connects to the original vent which is faulty, does 513 75 15-01 breather replace the original vent in terms of now acting as the vent and operating at the correct pressures, or do I still need to replace the original vent for this new setup to work. No one I've spoken to in Australia seems to know. The cost of these parts was $30, if I need a new original vent to that be $50 all up, ridiculous for a vent change!

OPTION #3

The T540XPII IPL has a separate part number for what seems to be the above group of parts plus a new vent in place of the original, part #590 04 26-01. I'm not sure if its compatible with the T540XP though as all the part numbers are different to those in the service flash for the original model. Even the vent part that fits in place of the original vent has a different part number, If this part is compatible though it may be the cheaper way to do it, although i'll have to take back the parts I've already purchased!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 540 tank vent change.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a interesting situation you are in. I don't know anything about the 540s but figured I should help keep your thread on top so you can get a answer. I'm willing to bet @Onan18 could get you a answer but may be too busy right now.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I would go with option 2, Husqvarna released that update for a reason.