Surprise when pulled bearings

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
046 rebuild... bearings felt just fine, but replacing them for good measure. Definitely glad I did. Check out what the flywheel side looks like!

Definitely glad I'm replacing them. Don't think they had much time left!

IMG_8465.JPG IMG_8466.JPG

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM--no indication that the saw had ever been apart. I'm not sure it ever even got a carb kit.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was a $20 saw in a box acquisition. Not sure what oil he ran. Bearings look rusty, not crusty.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to show the OP a bearing in worse condition, this is the bearing out of my 288 when I tore it down. Cage was just starting to come apart and it would've grenaded if it had been run much longer
IMG_1506.JPG

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rule #1 for buying a saw, used from a unknown source. (I.E., not from MM, or Landrum, or others proven sellers like that) is turning the engine over by hand.

Bought an old Mac off of fleabay. Good deal for it since it was complete... but it definitely needed a rebuild. Wouldn't turn over all the way. Found nut shells and composted nuts in the cylinder.

Tore it down and found a bad crank seal with a big crack in it. My guess is it quit starting easy and running at all due to the seal and they set it in the back of the garage or barn and forgot about it. Crank bearings were rough too. New ones made it a night and day difference.

Sometimes a saw that is all assembled and good looking can have a problem. Given the age of the saw I was buying, I expected it. I was just keeping my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be seized and it wasn't. Works for me.