Sugihara vs. Tsumura pricewise

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Japanese Bars are better all the way around. Send @Redbull661 a PM and he will get what you need. Great guy to deal with.
If you are spending that much on Oregon bars, I think you need to find a better dealer or just buy Tsumura. Yikes those Oregon prices are very high.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just asking, are hard nose bars (no sprocket tip) better for bore cutting?

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to run them all the time on the mcculloughs! But most of the time though roller noses hold up really well! The power drag and heat issues go away with the roller nose! We just live with the conditions we cut in! A roller nose can last until the teeth were out on the sprocket!

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Japanese Bars are better all the way around. Send @Redbull661 a PM and he will get what you need. Great guy to deal with.
If you are spending that much on Oregon bars, I think you need to find a better dealer or just buy Tsumura. Yikes those Oregon prices are very high.

Thanks, I’ll pm him if/when I decide to buy them.

That was with free shipping. I have not seen them any cheaper. Maybe if you can walk in to a shop local but that’s not an option for me.

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be able to find A SHOP between Hawaii and Alaska, No? LOL

One would think...I’ve never really seen a Oregon dealer in Alaska, but honestly never looked for one either. I don’t spend much time in AK anymore and the logging communities are really small and rural.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One would think...I’ve never really seen a Oregon dealer in Alaska, but honestly never looked for one either. I don’t spend much time in AK anymore and the logging communities are really small and rural.

The two shops that use to serve there are Madsens and Woods logging both in Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just paid $140 for a brand new Stihl 28” Es Light. How would a tsumura compare? I’m looking to buy a handful of bars and am considering Tsumura although I really like the Stihls

Tsumara is the best of the Reduced/ Light Weight bars in my opinion.

I’ve had Stihl, Tsumara, Sugi Hara, & Oregon.
I’ve Stihl got Tsumara.

Oregons-
too floppy above 28”- like a wet noodle.

Sugi Hara-
The 28” is not much difference in weight from a standard ES bar.

Stihl ES Light-
A Good bar but if you tweak it, it’s a paper weight due to the honeycomb design.

Northman Logging on AS has quite a few that are scrap metal due to being slightly tweaked.
Prior to going logging full time, he was a machinist & he hasn’t been able to straighten them.

Reach out to one of the Sponsors here for Tsumara .

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am new to using these light bars but having trouble with my Tsumara tips holding up! Have not tried the sugis yet! Lots of bore cutting!

Probably the only reason I would choose a Sugi over Tsumara is if I was Bore Cutting most of the time.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sugi tips better?
What seems to be the weak spot in the Tsumura tips?

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sugi tips better?
What seems to be the weak spot in the Tsumura tips?

If Bore Cutting most of the time they are.

Compare the 2 side by side: the way the conventional tip recesses into the bar seems to lend to longer tip life when mostly Bore Cutting.

I’d wager a guess that there is more constant surface area to share the stress.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not used any sugi bars. But have used a bunch of tsumura bars. I have had tip problems with them. At first it was because I was greasing the tips(dont do it or the tip will be junk in short order) The rest come from a fair amount of bore cutting and an aggressive rake setting. Tips are easy to change and cheap to buy. Nate keeps them in stock. The old tsumura tips where 6 rivet if I remember right have a handful of them nos. just can't remember. Other than that I love my tsumura bars and will keep on running them. But I have had some interest in gb bars just have not pull the trigger on getting a couple to try. Not a fan of RW bar to much flex for me but to each his own.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am absolutely not arguing with what is said above and I know the grease or no grease debate for tips has raged for years

Bars without grease holes don't self destruct so apparently bar oil gets to the bearings and keeps things happy

However

Tsumura/Total bars have grease holes and according to their own catalog they should be greased HOURLY after cleaning the grease hole

They even have their own cheese whiz container of grease

Image 11-18-18 at 5.02 PM.jpg

I am not agreeing or disagreeing.... I am just throwing this out there

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they are made with a hole for grease then mine all get it.....but I just cut firewood and fell a few trees. Not much bore cutting or commercial use here.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk