dmb2613

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is why I did not see a claim, I have had Stihl to give me parts for a saw and we furnish the labor. Stihl will do a good will thing from time to time. I have never been disappointed with them at all . But I do know the Stihl Reps in Va beach and Hillsborough NC

PETDOC

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is why I did not see a claim, I have had Stihl to give me parts for a saw and we furnish the labor. Stihl will do a good will thing from time to time. I have never been disappointed with them at all . But I do know the Stihl Reps in Va beach and Hillsborough NC
David,
Have you yet received or been given a date for the updated solenoid/fuel filter kit for the 261 C-M saws?

PETDOC

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Thanks. According to Rebull
"MS261 cm - replace black solenoid to white solenoid and black fuel filter to orange fuel filter. (they are coming out with a kit for this (contains white solenoid and orange fuel filter) Use "RESET" (90sec choke, 60 sec idle, 5 cuts)."
Can anyone elaborate on the 90 second choke? Do I set carb on choke and repeatedly pull starter for 90 seconds?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. According to Rebull
"MS261 cm - replace black solenoid to white solenoid and black fuel filter to orange fuel filter. (they are coming out with a kit for this (contains white solenoid and orange fuel filter) Use "RESET" (90sec choke, 60 sec idle, 5 cuts)."
Can anyone elaborate on the 90 second choke? Do I set carb on choke and repeatedly pull starter for 90 seconds?
put it on choke and it will idle there
there are videos on youtube and also in the 462 thread on the reset procedures

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, you set it to the cold start mode and start the engine. Let it idle for at least 90 sec. in the cold start mode and after the 90 sec switch it off without pushing the throttle trigger.

PETDOC

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No, you set it to the cold start mode and start the engine. Let it idle for at least 90 sec. in the cold start mode and after the 90 sec switch it off without pushing the throttle trigger.
Chain brake on or off?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There have been threads here thst show Stihl Stihl Ultra silver bottle oil causes rings to stick from excess carbon. I would switch my 2 stroke oil to an FD rated oil. Just me

NO THIS IS NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD. LOL

Glad to hear you got your saw back. Hopefully it provides you a long service life.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There have been threads here thst show Stihl Stihl Ultra silver bottle oil causes rings to stick from excess carbon. I would switch my 2 stroke oil to an FD rated oil. Just me

NO THIS IS NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD. LOL

Glad to hear you got your saw back. Hopefully it provides you a long service life.

Funny you mention it. I was thinking the exact same thing when the OP mentioned using Stihl oil. There are plenty of reports and photos of seized piston rings and worse. Can't say I have any personal experience, but I darn sure won't be using Stihl 2 stroke oil. Anyway, without knowing the cause of the seizure it's a crap shoot preventing it in the future. Hey petdoc, was there carbon buildup on the piston and rings?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It simply amazes me the difference in a warranty claim in the o.pe world versus the automotive world.
Case in point. Chevy Equinox. Pcv orifice froze due to sludge, lack of maintenance and cold weather.
Crankcase pressure blew out the rear crank seal.
Customer drove until engine was rattling. Added 4 quarts of oil (5qt capacity).
Did that 2 more times until it shut off for good.
View attachment 183520

Guess what, I put a crank, bearings and rods in it under warranty. Even though customer continued to drive with a severe oil leak..

Been there, done that, now I work a desk job thank goodness. What is funny is how many guys will take jobs like that and shortcut it to death to get the hours. They don't care about the comeback because they will be working somewhere else by that time.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't read the oil thread so maybe that's it. Or maybe the cylinder grabbed a ring which is why they replaced with a different part number. May also be why they took the old piston and cylinder back. Kind of like colt buying back messed up guns just to destroy. I can't remember but there was a python that was 357 but was labeled as 22. or it was vise versa. But I do know it was at an auction and colt bought it for a stupid amount of money so they could destroy it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are decades old rumors that if you have a .357 Maximum Blackhawk and send it in for service, Ruger will not fix it or even give it back to you. They will offer you a new Blackhawk of your choice or write you a check for it. Those sixguns are so rare that I think it would be hard to even find an example of one sent back in the first place.

PETDOC

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Funny you mention it. I was thinking the exact same thing when the OP mentioned using Stihl oil. There are plenty of reports and photos of seized piston rings and worse. Can't say I have any personal experience, but I darn sure won't be using Stihl 2 stroke oil. Anyway, without knowing the cause of the seizure it's a crap shoot preventing it in the future. Hey petdoc, was there carbon buildup on the piston and rings?

I only had a couple of minutes to look at the piston and cylinder before being re-boxed to be sent back to Stihl, but I don't recall seeing any carbon. The whole experience has been unsettling. When functional, the MS261 C-M is a great saw, but I'm still clueless as to why it seized. The dealer stated the fix was gratis on him, but Stihl requiring a return of parts suggests that is not totally true. The fact that the replacement cylinder is not what came on the saw (original cylinder cannot even be ordered) and apparently Stihl is updating fuel filter and solenoid is somewhat disturbing. I'm paranoid it's going to seize again and am worried the early buyers of the saw are in effect beta testers. Fortunately I purchased my saw with a credit card that doubles the warranty; therefore, I've got an additional 2 years and 4 months to go.
Despite the dealer insisting I should use a 50:1 gas/oil mix I'm going to use a 40:1 ratio. I purchased a separate 1.25 gal. "Stihl only" gas container and filled it with 93 octane ethanol-free fuel from a tier 1 gas station mixed with the regular Stihl oil (not Ultra). I'm saving all fuel and oil receipts and will be hand filing the chain after almost every use. I had already been routinely cleaning the air filter and cylinder fins, and will continue to do so. As soon as Stihl "officially" recommends upgrading the solenoid I will replace older version. The MS261 was my only chainsaw, but I now additionally own a thus far simply fabulous Stihl MSA 200 and a Husqvarna 435; therefore, the MS261 will only be used for dropping and sectioning larger trees. I'm no spring chicken so if I can get 15 years out of the MS261 I suspect what will break will be the operator and not the saw.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is already official from Stihl replacing the black solenoid valve with the white one and the new pickup body. This is valid for the MS 261 C-M and MS 362 C-M.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say you are probably good since they replaced with different parts. There is probably some kind of space kraut magic going on that we aren't privy to.