Stroking a Dolmar 7900

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I shimmed the cylinder .100” and measured about .042” squish.
1.5mm or .058” base gasket should net me zero squish.
I can add two standard base gaskets and run it, I can take .020” out of the band and run with the thick gasket, or I can take .020” off the piston crown and run it with the thicker gasket.
What say you?

Eventually all will change and saw will be ported, I’m just eager to see it make some chips.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can add two standard base gaskets and run it, I can take .020” out of the band and run with the thick gasket, or I can take .020” off the piston crown and run it with the thicker gasket.
What say you?

Eventually all will change and saw will be ported, I’m just eager to see it make some chips.

I'd take .020 outta the band and leave the piston as it is.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What say you?

If you are going to cut the band I say just cut it so you can run a regular non thick gasket. Cut the .078 and run with it unless that will remove too much "bowl" from the combustion chamber. I don't know what is acceptable the veteran guys have a way better idear.

My other concern is that the cylinder is close to the cover and melts it. Being 100 thou higher.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are going to cut the band I say just cut it so you can run a regular non thick gasket. Cut the .078 and run with it unless that will remove too much "bowl" from the combustion chamber. I don't know what is acceptable the veteran guys have a way better idear.

My other concern is that the cylinder is close to the cover and melts it. Being 100 thou higher.

You cut that much compression will be 250. Plus it will more than likely free port on the exhaust floor.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You cut that much compression will be 250. Plus it will more than likely free port on the exhaust floor.

So if he cuts just the squish band, and not the base won't that put the cylinder exactly where it was to start? The free port space on my piston was about .090 or just under, the stroke is 1mm more or .040, so it makes me think it might work and he can keep port timing.

On the other hand if he uses the thicker base gasket and cuts less squish band, that might put the ports in better position for better numbers.

I'm just spit balling...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I take .060" out when I do a Solo hybrid. But, I take the exhaust up to 96.....so compression ain't crazy high. Transfers ain't as far off as you would think either. Intake comes in just right because you don't take anything off the base, and the longer stroke makes BDC further down the bore.

But.....I'm not sure if the deck height is the same between the Dolmar, and the Solo. I'm also not sure about the 7900 jug VS the 7910 jug as far as raising the exhaust that much. The 7910 jug has all that "extra" material due to the insert from the muffler into the port.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take .060" out when I do a Solo hybrid. But, I take the exhaust up to 96.....so compression ain't crazy high. Transfers ain't as far off as you would think either. Intake comes in just right because you don't take anything off the base, and the longer stroke makes BDC further down the bore.

But.....I'm not sure if the deck height is the same between the Dolmar, and the Solo. I'm also not sure about the 7900 jug VS the 7910 jug as far as raising the exhaust that much. The 7910 jug has all that "extra" material due to the insert from the muffler into the port.
Solo gasket thickness?