Stripped Spark Plug

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 92301
I have a timesert kit now after seeing how the save a thread kits are made... they both work though. I would have to order shorter sleeves with my timesert kit. A bit overkill, but it does make her nice and straight. Work is back manageable heading into winter if anyone needs a hand.

Dammit another tool I know nothing about yet HAVE to have....im still searching for a lathe....now a darned Brideport enters the "short attention span theatre"....too many shiny objects to look at... :(

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 92301
I have a timesert kit now after seeing how the save a thread kits are made... they both work though. I would have to order shorter sleeves with my timesert kit. A bit overkill, but it does make her nice and straight. Work is back manageable heading into winter if anyone needs a hand.
I highly recommend Twin staged for these repairs he really pays attention to detail and cares about his work.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dammit another tool I know nothing about yet HAVE to have....im still searching for a lathe....now a darned Brideport enters the "short attention span theatre"....too many shiny objects to look at... :(
Just send it to him it aint worth it for as many as you need done.

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you really really want to buy your own tool I'd give this kit a close look.

The linked kit I found under the brand names Wonderman, Sealey and Neilsen, and I found it on eBay.co.uk for as much as about £120 and as little as £45 with free (UK) postage, so a fifth the cost of the Wurth timesert kit. It uses the same kind of system though:
- a step tap , 14mm to screw in to any remaining thread and hold the larger tap straight,
- a seat cutter with depth stop that slides over the tap shank and cuts a seat for the lip of the insert.
- It uses a different but neat insertion tool, where a lock nut is undone, removing a driving packer/tube and removing any load from the threaded portion of the tool, allowing it to be unscrewed without the insert backing out
- a 14mm tap which is run through the insert after fitting. I haven't found details on this tap and the inserts, but I'm guessing it's swaging/cold rolling the final threads on the insert like the Wurth kit does.

It's a fifth the price, something probably isn't so good, but I'd try it for a saw if I really wanted my own tool

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Not far at all. I'll shoot you a PM to get this out of the thread.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My plug repair failed. Any advice on best options from here? What cylinders are good to use on a 461?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you mean that it failed in what way did it fail