Storing wood in the basement?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a nice little pile of split hardwood in the basement for our little box stove. Most of it is hardwood from healthy trees that came down in storms. My dad (farmer who burned wood for decades) says this is a bad idea as it could have termites in it which could go to munching on my house. The wood looks pretty healthy and I see no evidence of termites. I don't think termites are a huge problem in this area. What say you? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Termites only eat decaying wood to my understanding so if the firewood is not decaying, and your house structure is not decaying then I believe you will be fine. Idk how common they are in KY but it's a non issue this far north in NY.
My neighbor brings his whole tears supply of wood into his basement, about 5-6 full cord. I tell him he's crazy but that's his decision. He also runs a dehumidifier down there like crazy to dry his green wood rather than buying it in the spring and seasoning it all summer...

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made an open-top box to hold firewood that I bring from outdoors. It rests on large casters that allow me to roll it around, indoors and in an out of my walkout basement from the patio where I store most of my supply. This box holds almost two wheelbarrows full of firewood, about 50 logs. I roll it to the area near the stove and unload it there, usually about one-fourth of it's capacity, and after that it goes back to a stockroom. When empty, I roll it outside where I refill it again.

So, the idea is to use the large open top roll-around box to help dry any wood that gets damp outside and let the loading area near stove complete the drying process before it goes into the stove's firebox. The box also catches loose bark and twigs to help keep things clean. I use that for kindling, so nothing is wasted.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a plan. I've been splitting the logs into small pieces and letting it dry next to the stove. This little stove doesn't burn the really thick stuff well, which I expected. I split them into pieces about 8x3x3 and they burn quite well.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stored wood in a canning cellar the first year I burned. Later that year I remodeled the bathroom directly above it.

There was an infestation of carpenter ants in the rafters. That was the last I ever stored inside.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've packed my basement with splits (2-2.5 cord at a time) for the past 10 years. I've not had any issues. Wood is within 6-8' of the stove at the closest spot and the thermometer at the rafters sometimes reads 100-110. I do not leave any there during the warm season though, just during the burn. Ususally go through about 6 cord/season.
20161228_180548.jpg 20161228_121400.jpg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I feel compelled to add, my stacks are stored about 40/50 yards from the house. Every piece is thrown from stack to trailer, then from trailer to well area (mini landing), then carried from there to the stove area. So if there were any unwanted insects, they get spotted. There has been a time or two when we've spotted ants and all those splits get thrown as far as we can throw them into the field beside my property, or in the chicken run. Any wood not solid gets burned in the firepit outside.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not planning to keep wood in the basement except during the burning season. It is not our primary heat source so I don't need to keep much anyway.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a little wooden box ,2 feet high 4 feet wide with doors on it .It will hold maybe a day and a half in the coldest of weather which we haven't had in several heating seasons .It's first of December and I've yet to build a fire this year .I'm okay with that .
I really haven't seen any bugs .If they were inside the wood they get roasted in the stove .The wood's all air dried for a couple of years and all it would have had was ants but they leave once the wood gets hard as a rock .