High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl warranty change...

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have to say I am a bit disappointed in that I purchased a new 461 yesterday (Canada) and was told that the 461’s no longer qualify for the longer warranty if you buy the oil at the time of purchase. Even the Canadian Stihl site says ‘all Stihl chainsaws are eligible.’ So when I got home I called Stihl Canada and was told that they changed the policy earlier this year and will correct the web site. Doesn’t really make sense why they wouldn’t extend the warranty on a 461 for a homeowner.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take the saw back and get your money, buy something else. The money is the only thing they will listen to.

I know you are right. Unfortunately for me, I live in a fairly remote area where the only dealers you will find within a days drive are Stihl and Husqvarna. I am not a Husqvarna chainsaw fan and to be honest this 461 rocks. I have a 32” light bar on it, and a wrap handle. Today I started slicing up a 54” fir that was taken down on my property. The thing was likely a few hundred years old. Gnarly and lots of sand in it. The saw runs fantastically well. :) Actually there is an Echo dealer in the nearest town too. I went in and he didn’t have any 800’s. Gave me a quote that included freight etc. Bizarre price. I have a smaller Echo saw that is really impressive, but no way I could justify the larger saw pricing.

Last edited:

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No Stihl dealer in Sechelt or Gibsons???
Or are you in the Powell River area?

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
hi bigbadbob. I am in the Okeover Arm area. PR is the closest town. Don’t think I said there wasn’t a dealer in the area, did I? I suspect there are Stihl dealers in Sechelt, Gibsons and of course Kolesars is the dealer in PR. Steve at Kolesars has always looked after us well.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the 461 is on the way out, the 462 will replace it

So is that good or bad? I grabbed a 461 because it didn’t require a laptop to diagnose things like I was told the 441 did...

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF!? Just because the saw model is being replaced, they shorten the warranty on it even when purchased new? That makes no sense at all and his horrible by Stihl.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t know for sure, but I got the impression that Stihl wasn’t allowing the extended warranty on any of the ‘pro’ saws any longer. If that is the case, it is crazy and doesn’t speak well to their belief in their products. If a homeowner buys a ‘pro’ saw and they won’t extend the warranty, then something is wrong. Oh well, comes down to having a good Stihl dealer in your area I guess. Cause let’s face it, the corporate entities all suck...they just want to get richer.

Last edited:

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
hi bigbadbob. I am in the Okeover Arm area. PR is the closest town. Don’t think I said there wasn’t a dealer in the area, did I? I suspect there are Stihl dealers in Sechelt, Gibsons and of course Kolesars is the dealer in PR. Steve at Kolesars has always looked after us well.
I have been as far as Lund,
Worked the entire Sunshine coast based out of Gibsons with the fone co.
Was in PR a few weeks ago.
461 get great reviews.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t imagine having a year warranty on a chainsaw, I get the standard 90 days. After that if it breaks I’m SOL.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So is that good or bad? I grabbed a 461 because it didn’t require a laptop to diagnose things like I was told the 441 did...
The 461 is a great saw , you will be happy with it. The 462 is just a bit more advanced. Great power and weight is a little less I believe
I have a 461 I will not be replacing it with a 462, however I may buy a 462

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stihl dealer is tired of getting hosed by tree guys that buy pro saws with some oil then proceed to trash the saws and want it covered under extened warranty. Of course they come in and buy as a homeowner. Might have something to do with it. Corporate sales types love extended warranties. Dealers hate them.