High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl Solenoid, fuel filter, and Coil info - Called Stihl (March 2019)

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good useful info for those who may need it. So fitting a quality felt Walbo fuel filter is a big no no with these new saws? Them vintage little orange screwdrivers that we all once had too many of & gave to anyone who would take one are fast becoming highly rare exotic hard to source tools. Good luck finding an AM V3 coil down the road when you buy a cheap builder saw.

Those coils will be about shortly
I’m sure. Folks have copied everey other ignition control module and or micro circuit copyright or not it will happen sooner than most think.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So I called Stihl this morning and got some up to date info on solenoid and coils for the mtronics. I will try and keep this clear as mud for ya's. :D

first gen solenoid = Black - pn# 0000 120 5110 - should use with black fuel filter
current gen solenoid = White - pn# 0000 120 5104 - should use with orange fuel filter
new exploratory solenoid that apparently has now been scrapped = Green - pn# 0000 120 5111

orange fuel filter, white solenoid and new coils have 2yr warranty. After that it sounds like stihl will replace parts but you will have to pay labor.

If you have problem on the -

MS241 - he didn't have any info on the 241 yet.

MS261 cm - replace black solenoid to white solenoid and black fuel filter to orange fuel filter. (they are coming out with a kit for this (contains white solenoid and orange fuel filter) Use "RESET" (90sec choke, 60 sec idle, 5 cuts). There are no gen3 control modules/coils thus you don't use "Calibration" (30-40sec choke, 20-30sec WOT, let off after it goes from max to scream back to max :D)

MS362 cm - same as 261 above.

MS462 cm - all 462s have gen3 control modules/coils, white solenoids, and orange fuel filters. So obviously stick to doing "Calibration" and replacing white solenoid and orange fuel filter with a white solenoid and orange fuel filter.

MS661 cm - little more complicated on the 661...

If control module/coil = 4700c 4700d 4700e(gen1) 4701a(gen2) - then must stick with black solenoid, black fuel filter, and doing the "RESET" (90 sec choke, 60sec idle, 5 cuts). You should not inter change any of the parts ...apparently problems with doing so. For example a white solenoid with 4701a coil and black fuel filter.

If control module/coil = 4702 4703 4704(gen3) - then must stick with white solenoid and orange fuel filter. And of course you do a "Calibration" not a "RESET".

There is a kit specifically for the 661 which includes the ver3 coil, white solenoid, and orange fuel filter 1144 007 1801
So Julian the v3 kit needs the v3 carb as the white solenoid won’t fit in the v1 carb correct ,that’s with the 4701a gen 2 coil I put on replacing the 4700c original coil.i still have the gen1 carb,what a tongue twister :eek:

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I called Stihl this morning and got some up to date info on solenoid and coils for the mtronics. I will try and keep this clear as mud for ya's. :D

MS261 cm - replace black solenoid to white solenoid and black fuel filter to orange fuel filter. (they are coming out with a kit for this (contains white solenoid and orange fuel filter) Use "RESET" (90sec choke, 60 sec idle, 5 cuts). There are no gen3 control modules/coils thus you don't use "Calibration" (30-40sec choke, 20-30sec WOT, let off after it goes from max to scream back to max :D)

I imagine this applies to all generations ( older heavier/newer lighter), ya? @Redbull661

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The green solenoid is official.

If anyone cares.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a MS241 today that had an unreliable idle and was hard to start hot with white solenoid and the new fuel filter. Runs like a new saw now. It’s an awesome little saw.

That one weiner will be here soon to tell you that you shouldn't run a white solenoid in that saw..

They've worked in every m-tronic I've tried them in, more reliable than the black ones.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, they are not supposed to fix all solenoids. In some cases a failed black valve can be replaced by a white one but not in general. I `ve aleady written it in the past. A black one can always be replaced by a green one. A green one has also the better internal sealing, like the white one.