Stihl Rapid duro vs Rapid duro Rescue

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have experience with both? Just looking for a cheaper option to the more traditional manufactures of fire department rescue chain.

I see the RDR has a bigger chuck of carbide and more soldering area to keep the carbide stick to the link. But the real question is “Will it last then then rapid duro?” And is it worth nearly three to four times the extra cost by going to the rescue?

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use RD3 on my 661cm... couple days back when Wildfires held in my country my combination was 20inch Duromatic with RD3 chain to cut.

RD3 is a good and strong chain I trust fully at least for my applications.

I have never used RDR i d really love to but from 80€ of RD3 where i cut dirty wood i ll have to climb to 250€ approximately for the RDR to cut what?

Well to tell truth if i get an RDR i ll find things to cut...

Sorry I cannot give you a response you asked

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a RD3 on one of my large Dolmar's, it lasted me about 1.5 years bucking firewood logs without sharpening.

The last log lot was extremely dirty and it got very dull.

The loop is currently out of commission till I figure out a way to sharpen it myself.
I tried a diamond bur in a rotary grinder (Dremel like), but freehanded I am unable to hold a constant position in the tooth's gullet and end up getting mixed results.

I looked up the RDR on Google, it actually features a smaller chunk of carbide (long but rather thin), but it is much more supported by the steel tooth it is soldered on.
The tooth's angle also appears flatter making it more resistant to impact.
The RDR also features bumper links which the RD3 doesn't.

I have no experience with RDR, but I have a fair bit of runtime on RD3 (I have one in 3/8" & one in 3/8" Picco/LowProfile).
The RD3 is a logging/wood cutting chain, tooth geometry semi chisel, round ground, very smooth cutting when new and sharp, but it doesn't fare well on foreign object impact.
Little stones and I assume also metal will make the cutters edges chip rendering Your expensive loop unusable in a short matter of time.
The RD3 holds up to sand and dirt well, but I wouldn't wanna have to rely on it cutting unknown mixed materials in life and death situations.

As @Evansaw said, not really the answer You were looking for, but it's all I can contribute.

From Google, RDR:
rdr2.jpg

RD3 - this is what 3/8" Picco/LowProfile looks like, the full sized 3/8" RD3 features a much larger chunk of carbide but the cutter is identical:
corpfull_1.png

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a RD3 on one of my large Dolmar's, it lasted me about 1.5 years bucking firewood logs without sharpening.

The last log lot was extremely dirty and it got very dull.

The loop is currently out of commission till I figure out a way to sharpen it myself.
I tried a diamond bur in a rotary grinder (Dremel like), but freehanded I am unable to hold a constant position in the tooth's gullet and end up getting mixed results.

I looked up the RDR on Google, it actually features a smaller chunk of carbide (long but rather thin), but it is much more supported by the steel tooth it is soldered on.
The tooth's angle also appears flatter making it more resistant to impact.
The RDR also features bumper links which the RD3 doesn't.

I have no experience with RDR, but I have a fair bit of runtime on RD3 (I have one in 3/8" & one in 3/8" Picco/LowProfile).
The RD3 is a logging/wood cutting chain, tooth geometry semi chisel, round ground, very smooth cutting when new and sharp, but it doesn't fare well on foreign object impact.
Little stones and I assume also metal will make the cutters edges chip rendering Your expensive loop unusable in a short matter of time.
The RD3 holds up to sand and dirt well, but I wouldn't wanna have to rely on it cutting unknown mixed materials in life and death situations.

As @Evansaw said, not really the answer You were looking for, but it's all I can contribute.

From Google, RDR:
View attachment 134845

RD3 - this is what 3/8" Picco/LowProfile looks like, the full sized 3/8" RD3 features a much larger chunk of carbide but the cutter is identical:
View attachment 134846

Forgot to mention that i use ONLY duro chain on my 201 TCM that’s the PD3 Stihl chain. I have 4 loops for that and another 4 for the Big Brother 661cm