Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bpx 22 chain
Sure liked to be dogged in.
Semi chisel will always be slower
Depends on who does the filing on the full chisel lol.
325 semi filed aggressively, would be fun in something soft and green like in the above video:b1:, would be real bad for boring into hard seasoned ash or locust, and lets not talk about frozen sugar maple :eek:.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes Brett.
All things being equal, I think Full chisel would always be faster than semi chisel.
Just the nature of the beast...

Semi-Chisel does have its place though...
Right, thing is, you can load up a 325 S.C. chain with a 550 husky in some green hardwood by 'tip cutting' 8" material with 025" raker that is down to the line of the teeth.
I mean that is just with a new file in the right place.
I did that in my saw ticket exam in the UK a few months ago.
Even the kids (with a file guide) that did the 5 day cource which had no previous experience,, cut fast for that saw.

Always got much to think about.

OH, BTW...did I mention ,I got an A ?

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 day saw ticket exam???
5 day course?
Sheesh. I'm in the wrong business...

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 day saw ticket exam???
5 day course?
In Europe a sort of a Chainsaw Operator License is required for professional operation of a chainsaw, the same is recommended sometimes requested for private chainsaw usage.

In Croatia life and health insurances are increasingly rejecting claims if one got injured by operating a chainsaw without possessing a chainsaw license.

Do not ask what is required to own a gun!

Let's go back to the Stihl depth gauge tools. ;)

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
5 day saw ticket exam???
5 day course?
No, 5 day course that is combined, saw maintenance, legal legislation and bucking, stacking/placement, ect. Then you have a 'beginner' felling course that is combined to make up the 5 day course. OR it can be split into two courses as in 2 &3 I believe.
The assessment is one day for both parts.

I didn't have to do the course but was assessed for the day.
I seems big money though. I had to pay extra on a Saturday to get another assessor out as they will only do 4 at a time. Courses are full. He told me many are coming out of office's and 95% won't he in it in 5 yrs. It's a never ending flow.
I was offered a instructer job whenever I'm ready. Stay locally or travel in the UK.
Instructors/Assessors/ cutters that I met are making money on the wood too. (Fence post and rail biz)

Interesting.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you use a progressive gauge Steve? OR do you use a multi tooth contact gauge ( straddle/ saddle type gauge? Basically, do you tend to keep the teeth even? Anyway, as I said you are not duplicating 'text book filing' as you say It works with that set up in the oak on a stock chain. The 261 I use sometimes, already had a hand filed semi chisel chain on it that seemed fine to bore ash with at first but I couldn't do much with it in terms of self feedings at 0.025" other than the buck but I would still lay on the dog every chance I could. Needless to say, it would be all wrong trying to make a Humboldt when the little dog doesn't reach (Due to the buttressed or otherwise) or when bumping collars. Of course I am going to go back to my roots of life, my bread & and butter when put into a corner with some added 'hook & drop' After all, "we're here to log not f_ck the dog" (is the mentality). Well now it doesn't bore properly with some hardwoods.
Then you no what I did next, right?
Your welcome.

I am currently using the flat Stihl raker gauge that sits across several teeth at once

I have not used the progressive gauge yet as I just received it from Dan not long ago. However it tends to make the chain even more aggressive in an attempt to improve crosscutting performance as the tooth gets shorter and further from the raker. This tends to make me think (even though I haven't tried it yet) that the progressive gauge will adversely affect bore cutting performance. I guess I'll have to try it out to see.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone whom got some are keeping them in their original wrapping in fear of scratching them! :p
You are exactly right! I have not used mine yet. I have been using the Pferd 2in1 for touch ups, but haven't done much cutting yet this year. Walleyes and turkeys come first then wood.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're great, but very aggressive, the hard setting is more equivalent to the soft setting on an Oregon progressive gauge. If you are setting a chain up for cutting dead locust and plan on doing some boring, you better watch the file closely so you don't take them down all the way to the gauge, but it's great for bucking with a strong ported saw.
My advice is use the gauge before filing the cutters for most cutting duties in hardwood.
Everyone whom got some are keeping them in their original wrapping in fear of scratching them! :p
Mine are all out and being used, they are much harder metal than most gauges I've used so the don't scratch easily.
If someone scratches theirs and doesn't like them I'll shoot a few bucks their way for them :).