Stihl orange plastic spring rewind tool

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered some parts from Dave a while back and impulse purchased the Stihl rewind spring tool. Can someone explain to me how to use it? Ive looked at it once or twice and I am not seeing it. Is there a nail/bench included in this process?

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i wind the spring into the cover and then this tool lets you add the tension to the spring through the rotor before installing the rope in the pulley
I use a baby butane torch to "sharpen" the end of the pulley rope opposite the elastostart handle and then use a small loop of wire from the handle of an airbrush cleaning brush to pull the tip of the rope up through the rotor for tying off

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, I see what you are saying. I feel like my teeth are gonna get involved cause I only have 2 hands. Just getting the snakey end through the pulley and tying it off I sometimes wish I had a third hand.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i made a video once, let me see if i can find it, you can almost do it one handed, but i explain it poorly
Dave

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you are a magician. This is that the rope fits the pulley hole perfect. I heat my ends and pull them pointy to hope for finished size of the rope. Its one of those jobs that shouldn't be as hard as it is sometimes. Anyone else put the whole thing back together meaning the elastostart and forget to put it back through the rewind cover? Every freaking time.....