Stihl Orange Jug Bar Oil Problem

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using the orange jug Stihl bar lube for a while now at work with no problems even in cold weather. The other night we had to cut some and my bar got hot. I figured it was just a fluke or needed cleaned out. Next day it was warmer and worked fine. Tried it the next day and wasn’t oiling again. I tried pouring it out of the jug and it hardly came out. Grabbed another jug from a different case and it poured fine. Color of the new jug was more clear. Took the case back to my dealer and swapped for older case or I would post pics. Was this just a bad run, or has Stihl changed their formula? I am subscribed to Humans YouTube channel and he mentioned it today or last night as well.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought of hydraulic oil. Does it seep out like motor oil does? I had an old craftsman that I ran 30 wt in and after I sat it down the floor would be covered. I switched to the Tractor Supply bar oil and no more leaking.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought of hydraulic oil. Does it seep out like motor oil does? I had an old craftsman that I ran 30 wt in and after I sat it down the floor would be covered. I switched to the Tractor Supply bar oil and no more leaking.
Some of my saws do some don’t. I’m not sure really. Some leak with regular bar oil as well. I sit mine on a board with a towel under the board

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live on a tree farm with lots of heavy equipment. We have tons of hydraulic oil. Anytime I can reduce cost and increase space in the equipment building I do. Plus sometimes someone will grab the bar oil and forget to put it up, leaving the next guy (usually me) running to the store. I'll give it a try and hopefully it doesn't leak. Thanks for the idea.

I did have a jug of the Johnsered bar oil that left the bar pretty dry in near single digit temperatures one time.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live on a tree farm with lots of heavy equipment. We have tons of hydraulic oil. Anytime I can reduce cost and increase space in the equipment building I do. Plus sometimes someone will grab the bar oil and forget to put it up, leaving the next guy (usually me) running to the store. I'll give it a try and hopefully it doesn't leak. Thanks for the idea.

I did have a jug of the Johnsered bar oil that left the bar pretty dry in near single digit temperatures one time.
It works fine. Even when it’s real cold.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem or noticed a difference. I use a Super S brand in my saws, this was a saw at work. The other three were the same color. The dealer hasn’t had any complaints from others, but did look at some more that came in that shipment. They were clearer also. It’s a noticeable color change, and definitely thickness change in colder weather.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20181212_151854.jpg 20181205_104350.jpg I was using TSC regular bar oil and cutting in the upper 20's to low 30's. Oil seemed a bit to thick to oil correctly and had the exact same symptoms you described Dustin.
I went to TSC and bought a jug of their Winter weight bar oil. I haven't tried it yet this year. I went through similar problems a couple of years back. The winter weight oil helped oil better in COLD temps.

Your Stihl Orange jug bar oil a little blueish in color?

Asplundh uses this Xtreme stuff.

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 155513 View attachment 155514

Your Stihl Orange jug bar oil a little blueish in color?

Asplundh uses this Xtreme stuff.

Almost clear-blue. Definitely not the amber color I was used to. I may just switch to the Super S stuff I run in mine. Works great and is cheap. We are “supposed” to run Stihl since they have a state contract, but I claim it’s only on equipment! Unless I buy cases of bar oil or bars/chains. We get a hefty discount.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Only real way to afford using their bar oils. Lol
Yes! There is a minimum order, but it is handy. I sent him that back and had him inquire. They drop shipped it from Stihl, his stock was the older amber stuff. He replaced all of it that came from Stihl. The TSC oil has been good to us as well. I may switch back once this is gone.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you add the diesel, does it separate from the oil mix when it sits? Or does it stay suspended in the bar oil?

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just saw a video on youtube , the guy was complaining of the new stihl oil , orange jug.

I've been using this , and like it. It's red and shows up well.

CVFut5n.png