High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS660 nasty vibration

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I just finished putting a cross top end on my 660. I started it up with no bar just to get it going and noticed my hands started hurting will revving the saw with quick blips of the throttle. So I paid attention and the saw has a nasty vibration now. I started my Huztl 660 just to make sure I wasn't crazy and my Huztl saw is butter smooth compared to the ms660 now. So I throw a bar on to to let it run more and rev it. The vibration is still there. Only thing change is going from a huztl big bore to a cross top end. I measured the squish in all 4 directions. Exhaust to carb way are the same(.020 in). And flywheel to clutch are the same (.0215in) as you see there is a .0015 difference. Not sure if that is the problem. Not sure what else to check. If need be I can strip the saw down and look at it closer.

Thanks Ken
65a973be57abb58982d2fddfdbbd6805.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
99 percent sure the OEM one. I put it together a couple months ago.

Which this saw is roughly a 2000 and I accidentally burnt it up 2 years ago. I leaned it out to much and scored the piston. But it cut rally good there for a bit. Lol

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1) The Cross cylinders often have to be filed a bit right on the Cross name to clear the flywheel.

2) On one of my Asian 660s, with AM piston bearing, the piston started to contact the squish band and created a lot of vibration. Luckily I took it apart before any real damage.

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
1) The Cross cylinders often have to be filed a bit right on the Cross name to clear the flywheel.

2) On one of my Asian 660s, with AM piston bearing, the piston started to contact the squish band and created a lot of vibration. Luckily I took it apart before any real damage.
I will give the cylinder a look and see if it's hitting. At this point it's easier to tear it down and give it a good look over then having the saw go into total melt down.

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pull the clutch and try it, no chance you were looking at your Stihl calendar and put the piston in backward is there?
No Stihl calender. Lol. But there is always that possibility I did put in backwards. I can pull the muffler and look for the arrow.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Should see only rings and no pins on the muffler side.

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Quick update. Piston is in the correct way. The cylinder has clearance to the case. So the cylinder is coming off.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guess it's not like a 350 so no sense in asking if your missing any sockets or wrenches.:borra2:

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No missing sockets. Lol. I swapped the piston bearing for a hyway one I will see if that helps. The were no hitting marks on the piston or crank. Everything felt really good. Besides the wrist pin felt really tight on the bearing. So I swapped the hyway one in. Hoping to have time tonight to fire it up. Yo see if that was the problem.

kjudd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Flywheel and clutch look good ?
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on the flywheel. But I forgot take the clutch drum off and look in there. The drum spins fine.