Stihl MS500i

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll skip the 462 and pick one of these up I think.
Say goodbye to your wallet :eek::). Truthfully though this new fuel injection thing is interesting... hopefully it trickles down to cheaper saws.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say goodbye to your wallet :eek::). Truthfully though this new fuel injection thing is interesting... hopefully it trickles down to cheaper saws.
As far as the funds go, that seems to be the way of things in all arenas of life now. Cant buy a half ton pickup for under thirty grand, 70+cc saws being over a grand, etc etc.

I'm excited to see how the efi performs under duty conditions.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the funds go, that seems to be the way of things in all arenas of life now. Cant buy a half ton pickup for under thirty grand, 70+cc saws being over a grand, etc etc.

I'm excited to see how the efi performs under duty conditions.
The cut off saw Stihl 500i had no problems with dirty and hard conditions

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cut off saw Stihl 500i had no problems with dirty and hard conditions
Yes, that gives it hope. But the work in which the ms500i will do and the operators that will be behind them is much different. Do you know what the maximum engine speed of the 500i cut off saw is?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think the cement dust and water would be far worse than wood chips. Most concrete saws I’ve seen after they quit had severe wear inside from concrete dust. If the injection handles that a chainsaw should be fine is think. Perfect way to test in my opinion, smaller number of units to update if a problem on the cut offs plus a tougher environment. I’m thinking this was stihls plan all along. Cut off to prove it then chainsaw.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think the cement dust and water would be far worse than wood chips. Most concrete saws I’ve seen after they quit had severe wear inside from concrete dust. If the injection handles that a chainsaw should be fine is think. Perfect way to test in my opinion, smaller number of units to update if a problem on the cut offs plus a tougher environment. I’m thinking this was stihls plan all along. Cut off to prove it then chainsaw.
I like your theory. But an idiot with a dull chain in high heat can murder a saw. However, with it being efi you would hope it would have a heat sensor and fatten it right up

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Concrete saws are also more limited in rpm as well as to not explode the cutter wheels.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 362 Ver I is still 1/4 lb lighter than a 462, not enough to matter, but the Ver II is more than 1/2 lb lighter than that, so over 3/4 lb lighter, IMO it will still have a place in the line up.

The 500 has excellent specs, but for someone just looking to run a 20" bar, IMO the 462 will be hard to beat. For longer bars, the 500 will make a lot of sense, but most of the Tree guys around here do 90+% with 20" bars.