Stihl MS500i

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally hate all this new injector *s-word, carbs work perfectly well it's just something else they can charge you an arm and a leg for when it goes wrong!
I do also and so did a lot of racers ( cars ) and look how many run Fuel injection now ?
Don't think it belongs on OPE but if power is there and weight is down ??? Longevity will tell ?
What kind of injector cleaner you run in your saw ? Lol

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I do also and so did a lot of racers ( cars ) and look how many run Fuel injection now ?
Don't think it belongs on OPE but if power is there and weight is down ??? Longevity will tell ?

Very true on the car front, but as you say not so much in OPE. It just feels like an unnecessary complication, I'm sure they could reduce just as much weight with a carb if they so wanted to. Just means you now have to go to their dealers to have your saw plugged in for diagnostics when something goes tits up! Seems like a clever business plan to be fair

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihls new 500i, power of a 661 weighs less than 461 at 13.66 pounds fuel injected!

In the 462 thread someone said that they haven't released actual specs but said stihl mentioned 1hp per kilo.
That's only a bit better ratio than the 462/661 and if it put out the 7.2hp of the 661 would weigh in at 15.84lbs.

Is the 500i direct injection?
I don't see where a big power increase would come from with fuel injection on a 2 stroke unless it's direct injection...

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In the 462 thread someone said that they haven't released actual specs but said stihl mentioned 1hp per kilo.
That's only a bit better ratio than the 462/661 and if it put out the 7.2hp of the 661 would weigh in at 15.84lbs.

Is the 500i direct injection?
I don't see where a big power increase would come from with fuel injection on a 2 stroke unless it's direct injection...
Stihl has had the TS fuel injection demo saw out for years now.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to spend all kinds of time at the drag strip, I preached turbos and efi and used efi. Never got to build a boosted engine for myself. Everyone had a hard time understanding and liking it until all the efi cars began smoking the carb guys and they had far fewer running issues and tuning issues.

Is efi gonna suck on saws? Maybe at first, but so did MTronic and Autotune. Once it's ironed out and we have means and access to the software we are going to sit there and go "*s-wordfire, that there efi saw takes the cake!"

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl has presented one of Stihl 's autumn press conferences: The Stihl MS 500i is the first chain saw controlled injection. The technical data of the prototype are impressive: 5 kW (6.8 hp) from 80 cm unladen weight 6.2 kg r power weight 1.24 kg / kW chain acceleration 0-100km / h: 0.25 sec Above all the last two values are for a serie saw absolutely world record suspect. This is almost the performance of a MS 661 at a weight just above the MS 462. Apropo series: The machine was brought to us live in several demonstrations and is already coming to the market in the coming year!

This was translated from German site.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They released its 6.8hp 13.67lbs

Well I guess that is pretty impressive... Can't imagine the price won't reflect the performance.

It seems this must be a somewhat different beast from the ts500i.

I can see where injection would improve metering throughout the whole rpm range but at WOT if it still has to go through the crankcase and transfers, it doesn't seem like there'd be a big gain in power.
With direct injection it would of course skip all that and atomize right into the combustion chamber...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. That's why I threw the question out there after you mentioned direct injection.
I wonder if they could seal off the lower end bearings and use some sort of changeable oil, while direct injection of fuel mix in the upper cylinder?
Just thinking outloud for a bit, don't mind me. Lol