Stihl MS441C

Darren Wheeley

New OPE Member
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi All
Newbie to the forum, but really struggling with a Stihl MS441C.

Back story, had the 2012 saw for around 3 years, it had been running brilliantly.

I was chopping some big logs for firewood, saw was running fine, I ran out of fuel, so refueled and went to start the saw and the pull had just ceased on me. I immediately thought I had thrown the piston at the point it had run out of fuel...

So took the pull casing of and the fly wheel turned fine, put the pull back on and started the saw no problems and it ran. Turned the saw off and tried pulling it again, saw was ceased again. Somewhat confused now.

So took it to my local worshop, he took the Flywheel off and something had jammed behind the flywheel, it looked nothing like a Stihl part so assumed it was a foreign object.

It had punched a hole in my crankcase and mis-shapened the flywheel key way. So the workshop stripped it down and repaired the crankcase hole, I ordered a new Flywheel. Should have been fine, but would not start once back together as no spark. Thought that the new Flywheel was faulty, so workshop fitted the old one as we knew that was working, same thing no spark.

Workshop guy said must be the Coil pack, that had got damaged too, even though it had been running fine and there is no sign of any damage. So ordered a new coil pack and guess what still no spark, with a new Flywheel and Coil pack. Its got an M-Tronic carb fitted to it as it is the MS441C.

Workshop guy has not got a clue what is wrong, he's had my saw now since May.He says he has tried everything in isolation and with the kill switch disconnected but nothing. He's waiting for another MS441C to come in so that he can swap parts.

I read something the other day about the M-Tronic carbs need resetting, so thought that might be the issue, if anyone could shed some light on this mystery it would be much appreciated as I just want my saw back working.

Many Thanks

Darren

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE,

Is he setting the coil gap? I believe a ms361 coil also fits on a 441.

Darren Wheeley

New OPE Member
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks czar800
I am guessing he is as he's a professional workshop that seems to know what he is doing... I will ask him if he has checked it though could explain a lot....
Is the MS361 an Mtronic, I purchased a brand new coil and flywheel and still no spark, it could be the gap is too big

066 redeye

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a problem with the solenoid and/or solenoid wiring I believe this can cause a loss of spark.
Cheers,Chris.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks czar800
I am guessing he is as he's a professional workshop that seems to know what he is doing... I will ask him if he has checked it though could explain a lot....
Is the MS361 an Mtronic, I purchased a brand new coil and flywheel and still no spark, it could be the gap is too big

I was referring to Possibly another saw you can try parts from. I’m definitely not an expert and even less knowledgeable on the newer electronics stuff.

Bomar

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking for a 441 gastank/handle if you decide to part it out or get a parts saw with a good one