Stihl MS361 Build

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Mtronics saws deal with timing advance different than the older carburetored saws? These quadports too?

The mtronic saws adjust timing and fuel based on feedback, the quadport 361 is just a coil with a curve like your saws Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

c896ba0fc5577dac05de1a18ce363d39.png

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because advance helps throttle response. Adds zip, but not always overall decrease in cut times. Even with increased compression.

Most saws like it up to a point. This saw may already have more initial and total advance dialed in from the factory than the older models I generally play with.

I also asked many experienced builders here that have modded it before if it benefitted from a timing advance. They all said yes.
Fair enough, Sir!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually (and I have never done a 361) the integral keys are far thicker than the real keys. (On a 362 they are about .140). I still took .020 off with a triangular file, and it seemed to work.

Unfortunately, both the diameter of your flywheel and the diameter of your crank will have impact on this.

Also, you should measure at the thickest part (the inside) of the crank. If you take off equally across the key, that part will hit first.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The mtronic saws adjust timing and fuel based on feedback, the quadport 361 is just a coil with a curve like your saws Jeff.

Dan,
Im not sure the electronics have a mechanism to advance or retard timing. I believe it can only adjust fuel flow based on a few parameters. boy electronic ignition would make these toys funner.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan,
Im not sure the electronics have a mechanism to advance or retard timing. I believe it can only adjust fuel flow based on a few parameters. boy electronic ignition would make these toys funner.

I thought Treemonkey had verified that it did... but I may very well be mistaken...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I leave out the lower ring Doc. That allows me to use my spinny thing in the port.
Just enjoying a build thread.
I move the port slightly off center on the jug wall, avoiding the ring. The next one might get relocated. I have a piston all spun out from the skinny being in a fat land.

@ Anyone. What does your exhaust smell like missing one ring? Do you notice it before and after?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That jug you used imo is the number two of three designs from oem. It came out very well.
I personally timed seven of those cast key wheels, well, you might do better trying to speck a clam shell motor. Nine degrees variation between them.
Stock carb, intake and filter.
A runner for sure :thumbup:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To be clear on the ignition timing. Some wheels were OEM some were AM. OEM had less run out. AM I took 0.065 off. OEM 0.020-0.035 depending on the coil and the set up, ie: long or short bar. Bars 24" 8pin wanted no advance. 28" liked -2* on my build. 16" 8p liked 10*. I use a strobe light.