Stihl MS361 Build

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rescued a little tiny one trying to cross the bike path the other week. Was only about 2", was just starting to cross.

Moved him to the other side so he would not get run over. He seemed surprisingly calm, did not try to bite me or anything, I was a bit surprised. Expected him to be a bit more defensive.

Over 90% of the turtles we see around here are either Snappers or Painted turtles, rare to see anything else. They lay their eggs in May or early June, and that is when you usually see them crossing the roads & paths.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too.

As a matter of fact, I saved a mud turtle while I was cutting hay. Big old guy. He didn't seem grateful though. Tried to bite me....
That's sumpin' I saved an Eastern Box Turtle from the haybine this year. He was closed up. Later that day, I saw a huge snapper in the middle of the road. It was near a trickle crick, but half a mile from any pond I know of.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Box Turtle is really a tortoise, and lives on land, but they are very rare around here. The bottom of the shell has 2 hinges that let them close up very tight. I saw them a lot more when I was a kid.

They can live to be over 100 years old.

I think the last time I saw one was near a golf course (I was taking a walk during my lunch break), was about 15 years ago.

I also found a dead one in the woods about the same time. It was near an ATV path, and apparently got flipped over, and died with it's head & neck fully out stretched, trying to right itself. A real shame!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much did you take off the key to have it pop? .20, .25? More?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much did you take off the key to have it pop? .20, .25? More?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No idea

Key is cast.

I striked a mark for key center before grinding.

I'm gonna mount the degree wheel to see where i am now, find 4* advance, and find stock timing at TDC

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only one that has a hard time discerning between borderline 4 stroking and a timing pop? My 7310 was doing it in TN. Being that it still had the 12.8k coil, I had no idea where "perfect" tune was without running a tank of fuel through it and checking the plug color. I leaned it out and it got better. Leaned it out more and it went away. I still don't know if it was just too rich, or if leaning it out actually affects the timing pop too

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only one that has a hard time discerning between borderline 4 stroking and a timing pop? I leaned it out and it got better. Leaned it out more and it went away. I still don't know if it was just too rich, or if leaning it out actually affects the timing pop too
Leaning out the mixture would make a timing "pop" worse ......... think about how combustion happens

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not just run standard timing?
Curious
Because advance helps throttle response. Adds zip, but not always overall decrease in cut times. Even with increased compression.

Most saws like it up to a point. This saw may already have more initial and total advance dialed in from the factory than the older models I generally play with.

I also asked many experienced builders here that have modded it before if it benefitted from a timing advance. They all said yes.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because advance helps throttle response. Adds zip, but not always overall decrease in cut times. Even with increased compression.

Most saws like it up to a point. This saw may already have more initial and total advance dialed in from the factory than the older models I generally play with.

I also asked many experienced builders here that have modded it before if it benefitted from a timing advance. They all said yes.

Pics of your Initial & Total Advances.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Mtronics saws deal with timing advance different than the older carburetored saws? These quadports too?

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

036 likes 5 to 6 degrees, not much more or it gets that run on syndrome.