High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS271

Powerstroke#7.3

New OPE Member
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was given a MS271 because it wouldn't run anymore. The tag has worn off so I can't give you model/serial #'s but I know enough to know that it is the older style with the bolt on intake, not the round clamp on intake. It is only pushing 60 psi compression and will not crank even if gas/starter fluid is pored directly into the cylinder. Has good spark as well. My question is what can I do in regards to rebuilding this saw. Can I go up in cylinder size without changing the crank, or down for that matter. I want to try a knock off cylinder rebuild kit but even those are hard to find for a 271. If I have to buy a $200 kit then this saw will just go into the scrap pile and I will move on. Thanks for any and all the info you can tell me about this thing!

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the chaos lol,what part of Tennessee you in?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With that low of compression I'd say piston and cylinder are scored, cylinder may be able to be saved and you can get away with a new piston. Pictures would help us determine that with you also

Powerstroke#7.3

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree that more than likely the cylinder is toast as well. Any scratch is devastating since you really can't hone these engines out with them having plated cylinder walls. Was wandering what my choices are with parts before I even dig into it. Was looking at other threads on here and it looks like a 291 is a compatible parts swap/upgrade as far as cylinder and pistons go.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not always a complete loss, your at least gonna have to tear into it enough to see how bad it is

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll also want to figure out what caused the piston and cylinder to be scored

Powerstroke#7.3

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok I will holler back after I tear it down. Oh and I am an hour north of Nashville. I missed that question earlier, sorry.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I will holler back after I tear it down. Oh and I am an hour north of Nashville. I missed that question earlier, sorry.
No worries bud,I'm about 45 minutes south of Nashville in muary county

Powerstroke#7.3

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well before I dragged everything out I pulled the muffler off and looked inside. Not good.... I could tell it was screwed and that’s putting it lightly. Yanked it all apart and the crank bearing had come apart and sent metal all through the engine. Top of piston looked like it was attacked by a jack hammer, metal imbedded in the cylinder wall etc. Needless to say it’s toast. By the time I replace all that is damaged I could just buy a good saw for less.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well before I dragged everything out I pulled the muffler off and looked inside. Not good.... I could tell it was screwed and that’s putting it lightly. Yanked it all apart and the crank bearing had come apart and sent metal all through the engine. Top of piston looked like it was attacked by a jack hammer, metal imbedded in the cylinder wall etc. Needless to say it’s toast. By the time I replace all that is damaged I could just buy a good saw for less.
Yeah that's not good, if it was a more desirable saw and magnesium case and all it would be a different story, sorry bud

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deals will come to those who wait. Just be prepared to jump on them.
Basically brand new ms 362, 5 of six oil, case, nib extra 24 ES bar. $400. He had to make car pmt b4 repo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Powerstroke#7.3

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just think of all the saws we would by if they did different color choices. Camo, flannel, cancer awareness....But babe, I got to buy this its for a good cause! LOL!

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just think of all the saws we would by if they did different color choices. Camo, flannel, cancer awareness....But babe, I got to buy this its for a good cause! LOL!

But then my wife could tell them apart. She sees me with just 2 chainsaws at a time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk