Stihl MS261 / MS362 Type II dual felling spikes

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up another 261 and quickly decided it needed a muffler mod and better spikes cause lord knows it won't cut stock lol. Tig'd on some stainless tube for the muffler but the oem 361R spikes that I usually use didn't really jive to me with the newer look. And apparently I had no will to do anything I actually should have done today, so, I figured I could come up with something oem looking similar to the newer style inner spikes that looked more modern than the 361/362r dual spike kit. I traced the hole offset from the 361 spike set onto paper and then hand drew the rest. Then photo copied it and cut out the paper pattern for inner and outer spikes. Transferred that to an old scrap aluminum road sign and with way too much time with a bandsaw and files, I've got a prototype set.

They seem sturdier than I anticipated but I doubt they would hold up to any real use due to what I made them out of. Plan is to use these as a pattern and get a few sets laser cut if the cost isn't astronomical.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a set. No idea what cost will be. If anybody knows of a good source to make these that would be appreciated. There is s local place that does laser cutting but this would be way small scale for them.

IMG_2214.JPG

OEM dual spike kit on left, original 261c spike on far right.
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up another 261 and quickly decided it needed a muffler mod and better spikes cause lord knows it won't cut stock lol. Tig'd on some stainless tube for the muffler but the oem 361R spikes that I usually use didn't really jive to me with the newer look. And apparently I had no will to do anything I actually should have done today, so, I figured I could come up with something oem looking similar to the newer style inner spikes that looked more modern than the 361/362r dual spike kit. I traced the hole offset from the 361 spike set onto paper and then hand drew the rest. Then photo copied it and cut out the paper pattern for inner and outer spikes. Transferred that to an old scrap aluminum road sign and with way too much time with a bandsaw and files, I've got a prototype set.

They seem sturdier than I anticipated but I doubt they would hold up to any real use due to what I made them out of. Plan is to use these as a pattern and get a few sets laser cut if the cost isn't astronomical.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a set. No idea what cost will be. If anybody knows of a good source to make these that would be appreciated. There is s local place that does laser cutting but this would be way small scale for them.

View attachment 123669

View attachment 123670
View attachment 123673
View attachment 123674

Looks nice!

And @Adirondackstihl has a guy making some husky spikes I wonder if he could squeeze these in?

Aciera

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 123669

View attachment 123670
View attachment 123673
View attachment 123674
Looks good. I like the bigger step.
Nice for out of position cuts.
If going to a shop find the break points.
Sometimes it can be a bunch!!

Last edited: