High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS200T vs. 020T?

WoodyBlue

New OPE Member
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
First real post here (just posted an ISO MS 660 Mag in the wanted to buy forum) But I am very curious as to the differences between the 200T and the 020T, besides the name plate.

Currently have what I believe is a 200T on my bench almost completely rebuilt (waiting on a could more parts) but I purchased it form a guy who had two different pull cords for it. Both fit and work. One says 200T and the other says 020T.

I will post pics if needed, But what are the real differences?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
020 T and MS 200 T (1129 series)

The o20 T has the nameplate on top of the carburetor box cover and the MS 200 T has the nameplate clipped to the side of the fanhousing.

The main Improvements on the MS 200 T are:

The flippy tank caps,
Intake air preheating (for winter operation)
cylinder with 4 port technology.

The power output on the MS 200T is 0.1 kW more as on the 020T. (MS 200T 35.2cc, 1.7kW)

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically the same model the 200t is the later model, the 020t was the earliest. Many parts may be interchangeable some may not. Both saws would have had many updated parts throughout their model life. It would take a few pages to list every little detail which wouldn't be all that relevant to you anyhow. If you have a tidy running 200t your lucky, they are great saws. Mine runs well but is beat to death & has many hours on it. I replaced it with the current 201t which is the latest saw in that series, even now the 201 is due to be upgraded to maybe a MS202t. The little brother saw is the MS150t. These are arborist top handle climbing pro saws that you can hold with one finger in the handle & the saw will lie flat...perfectly balanced for precision cuts.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Technically speaking the difference is the "0" is before the "2" on the 020T.... hehe...

The carby on the 200t was "upgraded" to the air pump style that always leaks and gives the operator fits . The carb on the 020t never failed. Keep bushings around because when they wear the wiring the intake boot and a host of other bits fail.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Technically speaking the difference is the "0" is before the "2" on the 020T.... hehe...

The carby on the 200t was "upgraded" to the air pump style that always leaks and gives the operator fits . The carb on the 020t never failed. Keep bushings around because when they wear the wiring the intake boot and a host of other bits fail.
He means "accelerator pump" I believe.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Next question....how much can be done with the carb and the jug/muffler for more POWA?
:D not that they need it.
Changing up one of mine to run a 16-18" bar for just me and brush. This can also translate to a 200 if I ever find a good or burnt complete example.

I won't be using an "excel-er-later" carb. Stashed away a near new one years ago just in case. Going bigger. I do have a spare case and both style jugs to hack up. Quad port seems like the no-brainer. I can for once swap out the carb and filter because it will never go climbing.

Thoughts, hacks, maybe pics of the frankinsaw you built or photos of a little beast?

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Older thread, I know. Does flippy caps from the Ms200t fit the 020T?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Found little about mods on these saws but for the standard stuff.
I plan to delve a bit deeper, again. These things really do fly when it all comes together. The carb still seems like the limiting factor or anything ahead of it. Reworking what I can before the carb and the entry for a real work saw not a toy.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why exactly are 201's so spendy? Is it just a matter of Stihl knows these saws have a cult following and so charge as much as they think they can get away with?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why exactly are 201's so spendy? Is it just a matter of Stihl knows these saws have a cult following and so charge as much as they think they can get away with?
Get what you pay for.
I've owned just about every limbing saw made.
Still running the 200T but going to make the mtron v3 move next year. Still not selling my 200T's. Sold both my 201's. One 200 is going ported tomorrow or Tuesday, fresh... just one of the bunch. The rest stay here.

How many saws can you fix just about anywhere with three hand tools, rarely ever fails to fire, does not eat parts unless you drop it and is arguably the worlds most powerful top handle at 35cc spec?

I don't drink "Coolaide" and own ten different manufacturers saws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl had a lot of problems with the Zama C1Q carbs early on the 200T's .They developed leakage around the accelerator pumps when they changed manufacturing from Japan to China .Myself and Adam Clark in California thought we had found the problem and I sent a faulty carb to Stihl Virginia beach where they did extensive testing but really could not find any thing except it did leak .
Eddie Anderson (Stihl number 1) sent me a new carb which was the latest modification at that time .It has been faultless and since then I have never changed the jet settings .The little saw which is modified is a little screamer .
There is a way to block the accelerator pumps out of the circuit and it's been said they will work as well as the older carbs with no pump .What they did I'm not sure .

Attachments

• DSCN0854[1].JPG
    DSCN0854[1].JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 23

Adam G

Zigzag failures +4
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lone wolf has a good question, to be blunt they do not fit. at least to the best of my knowledge. the 020's have the older fuel vent system Ie orange plunger type thingie inside the gas tank. with the screw cap tanks. and the newer 200's switched over to the newer independent fuel vent system that mounts in the carb box area. with those changes came a few other additions also. including a newer fuel hose with a brass pill in the fuel vent hose side of the fuel line.

Stihl had a lot of problems with the Zama C1Q carbs early on the 200T's .They developed leakage around the accelerator pumps when they changed manufacturing from Japan to China .Myself and Adam Clark in California thought we had found the problem and I sent a faulty carb to Stihl Virginia beach where they did extensive testing but really could not find any thing except it did leak .
Eddie Anderson (Stihl number 1) sent me a new carb which was the latest modification at that time .It has been faultless and since then I have never changed the jet settings .The little saw which is modified is a little screamer .
There is a way to block the accelerator pumps out of the circuit and it's been said they will work as well as the older carbs with no pump .What they did I'm not sure .

The C1q has always had issues on the MS 200 series saws, wether they are new out of the box or have been in the saw from the factory. the problem occurs from the accelerator pump being a brass plunger inside of an aluminum bore. eventually the brass becomes scored and essentially fails to move correctly through its stroke. the purpose of the accelerator pump is to push fuel into the bowl at idle RPM's to cause faster acceleration of the saw for an idle. to keep my fleet of 200's working properly I replace the Carb every 2-3 years or when the saw refuses to keep a steady idle.

Honestly I have no idea why these saws are so expensive, especially considering all the problems Stihl had from the get go. I remember when they first hit the market. everybody I knew complained about the lack of power and hard to start problems.
Stihl's solution was to replace the carb, flywheel,coil and carb linkage at the customers dime, IMO Stihl should have replaced all the faulty components as a recall seeing as there were so many of these saw that had these issues. But I digress over things that no longer matter.

Adam

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have another 200T ported and ready to go except the linkage in the handle is hanging the choke lever up front near the thumb switch, pia. Still have a bit of crap or something a miss in the carb. The H side wonders a bit. Getting to an 020 next month.

Adam G

Zigzag failures +4
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have another 200T ported and ready to go except the linkage in the handle is hanging the choke lever up front near the thumb switch, pia. Still have a bit of crap or something a miss in the carb. The H side wonders a bit. Getting to an 020 next month.

I have boxes of linkages and cam switches hit me up if you need a set.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have boxes of linkages and cam switches hit me up if you need a set.
Do tell if you have any in site.

I've never had this issue and worked on dozens of them. Tighten the forward handle screw and the choke linkage sticks up in the thumb section under the control switch. Loosen the first horizontal screw a tad and it releases the bind. I'm like wtf... something is just not right here.

Adam G

Zigzag failures +4
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll dig up a set tomorrow. pm me your info and I’ll send it over.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my case the C1Q was prior to the accel pump model .However the new one sent me was a later model with an accel pump .The conversation arose on another forum that Adam C and I posted on as well as Eddie Anderson .He was curious so I sent a faulty one to Stihl Va Beach for testing at Eddies request .Fact I keep the box the new carb came in C1Q S126A and written on the outside ," red welch plug leak " So we were partly correct .
I might add the 200T that carb is on is a hot rod . I modded it and since the new carb which I did not touch the setting. It's as it came from the factory had never ran so well .I'm not a pro trimmer so it doesn't get used that much .