High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS 661 CM,a bit lean?

skip sail

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a fairly new 661,about 10 hrs use so far,and today it was a little harder to start than before. Didnt fire up after two pulls,and died a couple of times at idle. Running 33-1 fuel,using stihl oil.
Pulled the plug,and it looked a little lean to me,so took some pics.
What do you folks reckon?
I had a mate suggest that by running 33-1,instead of 50-1,the mtronic compensates and leans the saw out,not sure if that makes any sense though.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First, I would make sure the air filter is clean.
The HD2 filter can look great but be just about clogged, restricting air to the point of starving the motor

You could also pull the air filter off and try starting it, being aware of anything different.

If you have the same problem without the air filter, then I would do the reset procedure.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to hook it to mdg and check fuel rating. Also need to do pressure tech, Casey at stihl said they had problems with rubber intake on 661

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As above, check the air filter and re-set the Mtronic system. I've got many tanks on plugs just like that with no problem, for years, but don't have the starting problems as you stated.

I'd also take the ratio up a bit.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Switch to 50:1 and try it. Read around here and you'll see many issues with mtronic/autotune issues with the heavy oil ratios... but everyone here says I'm crazy lol