STIHL MS 400

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
has anyone mentioned on here about the fact the the MS400CM (not injection) has a ceramic piston - new technology Stihl are working on - the 400 will be the first saw released with it. first heard about the ceramic piston idea about 18 months ago and got to see/hold one about 12 months ago.

Entirely ceramic or ceramic coated?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ceramic coatings have been used on snowmobile pistons and pipes for a long time. Protects the piston dome and holds the heat in the pipes to keep under hood temperatures down, plus makes the pipes more efficient due to more consistent temp.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So my boss was at the stihl training yesterday.
The MS 400 will arrive at fall '19 in Germany.
It has a magnesium piston which has special coating, feelks like a ceramic coating but they didnt tell him what it was exactly.
He made some cuts with that saw and he said the saw turns out real nice.

The MS 400 wont replace the MS 362 because they want to test the new piston technology and they want to keep a proven saw as fall back strategy.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying they aren’t using magnesium for a piston but I personally don’t see a benefit. Even if it’s lighter, it isn’t as strong and the pistons will still need to be machined to size, both can be cast so not saving anything there I don’t think and magnesium is a flamible metal. Ever see an old law boy burn? Personally I don’t think flammable metal coated or not is a good choice for a piston with several fuel ignitions on top every min.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it will be a great saw, and I'm also wondering what the weight will be. However, since I have both a 261 Ver II and a 462, I'm not sure that I will need one! Those 2 saws make a great combo.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it will be a great saw, and I'm also wondering what the weight will be. However, since I have both a 261 Ver II and a 462, I'm not sure that I will need one! Those 2 saws make a great combo.
Specs were something like 66cc/4kw(5.3hp)/5.8kg. Hopefully it will oil and pull a 28 and be significantly cheaper than a 462.

HP Ultra

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Obviously STIHL uses the MS 362 to test their new piston not risking a lot of development costs, if any issues may occur.
But what does that mean?
The specs right now may not seem very impressive with respect to MS 362/462.
But... if that very piston will last in the woods of the world, you will sooner or later see new saws developed from scratch according to a piston, that does not need a massive flywheel/crank shaft. Hence the housing will be smaller compared to common saws.

Back to topic.
What benefits does the MS 400 gain with a magnesium piston (compared to a common piston and same displacement)?
For sure the fuel consumption will be reduced , since there is less mass to be moved. The acceleration will be increased.
And there will be slightly more torque from beneath.