Stihl ms 261 muffler differences

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen guys debate if there is any type of restriction inside certain mufflers on the 261..there is.

I had a muffler from and OE and a version 2 side by side tonight and the OE muffler has a type of tube/baffle or whatever you wanna call it at the top of the muffler and it's also heavier than the version 2 muffler.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow morning.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think we are talking apples and oranges Ryan.

No restriction from someone who mods the can, like me, means the exhaust port opening empties into an open area that can be short circuited/redirected. On an MS361, it empties into a giant restrictive baffle. On a 261. It empties into an open area and the restriction is up on the roof of the PTO side before the exit for the gasses. So there is a “baffle” there, but no baffle where the exhaust gasses enter the muffler.

I put a stainless @Red97 deflector on the Fly side and I cut a piece of sheet metal that mirrors the shape of the factory screen and insert it where the screen goes. That blocks the natural outlet so the Ex gasses don’t stain the case.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think we are talking apples and oranges Ryan.

No restriction from someone who mods the can, like me, means the exhaust port opening empties into an open area that can be short circuited/redirected. On an MS361, it empties into a giant restrictive baffle. On a 261. It empties into an open area and the restriction is up on the roof of the PTO side before the exit for the gasses. So there is a “baffle” there, but no baffle where the exhaust gasses enter the muffler.

I put a stainless @Red97 deflector on the Fly side and I cut a piece of sheet metal that mirrors the shape of the factory screen and insert it where the screen goes. That blocks the natural outlet so the Ex gasses don’t stain the case.

A 361 has a pathetic excuse for a muffler.

I put these mufflers on the same saw and the muffler from the version 2 was alot snappier and it ran better.

Guys have said there was no exhaust restriction in the sense that it was just an open can with a straight shot to the exhaust port..not true on this older muffler. It has to travel through that tube or whatever you wanna call it before it exits the muffler.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 361 has a pathetic excuse for a muffler.

I put these mufflers on the same saw and the muffler from the version 2 was alot snappier and it ran better.

Guys have said there was no exhaust restriction in the sense that it was just an open can with a straight shot to the exhaust port..not true on this older muffler. It has to travel through that tube or whatever you wanna call it before it exits the muffler.
Yup

Tube is up on the PTO roof back by the Saw (rear) side. If one cutts gills or adds a vent on the front flywheel area, it short circuits the gasses directly out of the muff.