High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl is 45 issue

Man cave

New OPE Member
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a stihl hs45 giving me issues. I've changed plug carb gaskets. And tested kill switch still no joy. I even managed to flood it yesterday as fuel was spitting from exhaust. The coil seems to have spark but did look a bit weak. Also when I looked online at coils for my model they all only had one terminal going to kill switch. On mine there are 2. Can that be explained too please if anyone knows.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check the height of the inlet control lever in the carburetor while changing the gaskets and diaphragms? The lever could be to high now. If this is the case, the engine can flood easylie.

With the ignition module: In the past was a change in suppliers of these modules, could be a reason for different terminals.

Man cave

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No I didn't check inlet control lever. I will later though.
As for ignition module if I had one with one terminal. Could I ground the other wire to where I screw module down like other machines?

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Forget the coil, take your carb apart. It sounds like a loose welch plug.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just make sure you are looking at the correct IPL too as the HS45 came with a 4140 and a 4228 engine. The 4228 engine did have coil changes per IPL on hand.

While you got the carb out bench test for leaks and also check the metering needle for wear.

Man cave

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to check tonight so will report back with my findings

Man cave

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all. We are up and running. Stripped carb again. Spent ages making sure inlet was set correctly. Changed Welsh plug. Gently put everything back together. Lil bit aprihensive after 3 pulls but then she fired up and I cut my hedge as a test. Thanks all for your help and advice.