STIHL HT 131 versus HT 133 Pole Saws

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
3:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ditch all thoso and go for the non 4 mix HT250 with a 16" picco setup. HT250 is the same engine as the FS250

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
They leak out constantly too... the 103 that is. But if someone can fix the oiling issues it could be a usable pole saw... look at the head, it has one bar nut which is normal, the second stud is the oil passage which travels through the bar cover and travels through the outside of the bar. Mine clogs up in a cut or 2 and does not oil... I've about given up on it. I've tried 1/4 bars 3/8 bars and it just clogs up fast...
Make the bar hole bigger.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. 10ft Louisville does the trick!!:eek::D
I used to think so, but not always. I actually found I like my 131's low end torque more than the greater high rpm hp of the 250. I is,great to be able to leave the bar/chain resting on the limb vs having to hold it off the limb in order to get the rpm up in the powerband.

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A local dealer of mine advertised the 131 still as being for sale. I inquired about it and received a call back saying they will be bringing back something identical to the 131 because the failure or warranty rate was at 5% instead of the 1% they aim for.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A local dealer of mine advertised the 131 still as being for sale. I inquired about it and received a call back saying they will be bringing back something identical to the 131 because the failure or warranty rate was at 5% instead of the 1% they aim for.
What exactly is failing? I thought the new 133 tube was a stronger better design. Although it looks like Stihl cheaped out on the new cutting head.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see that. Ive repaired a many 4 mix motors that were gummed up from Stihl oil. I have a few of the 4 mix motors myself in a br600 and a ht101 and still think they suck!!! They work but I know what the piss poor design of that motor is. They r always gummed up, lifter rod came loose, or plastic camgear is worn and puts the unit out of time. The valves were so carboned up in this pic they had to be beaten out
20180417_130034.jpg

Last edited:

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can see that. Ive repaired a many 4 mix motors that were gummed up from Stihl oil. I have a few of the 4 mix motors myself in a br600 and a ht101 and still think they suck!!! They work but I know what the piss poor design of that motor is. They r always gummed up, lifter rod came loose, or plastic camgear is worn and puts the unit out of time. The valves were so carboned up in this pic they had to be beaten out
View attachment 132680
I don’t think they are going away from the 4mix engines. I’m not exactly sure as the reason why but in looking at the 133 the all plastic cutting head would be my guess. It doesn’t look very sturdy to me.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 132680
What oil and mix ratio was run in that pic?

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inside the shaft the drive shaft mechanism is held in place by a plastic bushing with a nipple/ tab that is just to weak to hold the drive mechanism in place. It pops out and the drive mechanism comes loose from the splined clutch. I wouldn't call it common I'd say it is going to happen if you have one... go to the dealer pick up a 103/133 and bend the bar, you'll see just how weak the head is. You can actually open up and see a gap between the bar and head... also I still don't think everyone understands how the oil flows, it doesn't travel from the head into the bar, it travels from the head into the bar cover and then goes into the bar from the outside. My guess is stihl did this because of how weak the head actually was... stihl will have to do something about it though I'm confident of that.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The different oil flow has a simple reason.
The new head has the bar on the wrong side, so the operator has a better look at the bar.
They had customers complaining they dont see what they were doing, cause the head was in the line of sight with the bar.

The Stihl bars can only get the bar oil from the left side so the bar oil has to take a detour through one stud in to the bar cover and from there to the bar.