High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl HS46C Carb Tuning

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Could someone give me the correct RPM for tuning the high needle on a Stihl HS46C hedge trimmer?

Thanks,

John

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the hedger is speed limited to 9300 rpm you want set for best speed below that rpm. At 9300 rpm or above the ignition coil will shut down. As I found out earlier these hedgers can run at well above this 9300 rpm even when the coil is not firing if the engine is dieseling and then recover once slowed below the cutoff rpm. The local dealer couldn't find what was wrong with the unit even it was under warranty.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. I had set it to about 9,000, but wanted to make sure I was on the right track before I sent it out with the crew.

Btw, I got it fixed thanks to your earlier thread on a run away hedge trimmer. When it was brought in, the operator couldn't get it to start. I got it to start but it wouldn't accelerate.

My first thought was clogged carb. I cleaned the carb with no change. Turned out to be a clogged spark arrester. I shoulda checked that first, but didn't suspect it because it's a very low hour machine and there were no complaints last time it was used.

Anyway I cleaned the spark arrester, adjusted the carb to get it to run good but it seemed I had to have the high screw way to far out.... and it wouldn't shut off. New spark plug and bingo! Runs better than new now.