High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl FS 46 String Trimmer Problem

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Next time, just loosen the screws, and pull out the drivetube/shaft, and leave it out until you are done working on the trimmer.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The reason for removing the throttle cable, is that a few years back they switched carbs, to the style that used a z-bend at the end of the cable. So I sell the cable with the carb.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time, just loosen the screws, and pull out the drivetube/shaft, and leave it out until you are done working on the trimmer.
I ended up doing that just to reassemble the controls. I never saw such a mess. There is evidence of questionable engineering design everywhere.

I conclude that this line trimmer was never meant for a major repair or rebuild. I called the dealer and talked to him about it. He said, "We would never have pulled that engine. It's not cost effective. Even a 4-hour job has no payback for us on an FS 46 line trimmer. We might do this for a commercial customer who bought several of them."

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since I dismantle them once a week, I can have the block in my hands in under 5 minutes, so I am not going to comment on that. Yes, cheaper units are harder to justify doing any work on, but they are not hard to work on.