Stihl electric tool only dealers?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local NAPA store (who are great folks to deal with) just became a dealer for Stihl electric and battery power tools. They had just finished putting up the display when I walked in to get some brakes. They confirmed that they will not be handling any of the gas powered stuff. I didn't know you could sign up with Stihl or any other marque and carry only part of the product line? I think it is a smart move on their part, most of the Stihl dealers here don't have much at all for the electric powered stuff, some of them refuse to deal with it at all. That NAPA has alot of walk in traffic too, more so than an OPE dealer would.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
In Germany Stihl has 3 types of dealers:
Stihl exclusive dealsers - they have an exclusive contraxt and sell only Stihl chainsaws and they are forced to order new saws and need to have most saws on stock. They are forced to buy every special tool Stihl releases but get a better price on parts/saws ,and 5 days on Stihl training every year are required.

normal Stihl dealer - they need a workshop and some parts on stock like fuel filters.

battery/eletric only dealer - they need only a shelf for that is exclusive to Stihl. Unlike the other dealers they are not forced to repair machines. Is something broken? They send it to Stihl for repair/service. Most of the time this are some hardware stores.

Every other Stihl dealer has to do warranty repairs on his own and is not able to send machines back to Stihl.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, can't say I blame them for not getting into the gas powered stuff. That shop stays really busy and any kind of warranty work is going to be a big loss leader. On the other hand, none of the other dealers really push the electric stuff much so they might corner the market on it.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local Husky dealer just started carrying the Stihl battery line of homeowner products. Not sure how far in they'll jump. So far it just looks like the small stuff.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years ago I bought my sister a Stihl plug in electric weedeater, it is awfully nice.