High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl chain gear won't turn

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl MS193T chain gear won't turn, I mean the thing at the end of the (original Stihl) bar. The saw is only about 6 months old. At first I thought the gear axle was frozen and went at it with penetrating oil, which seemed to work for a while, but now looking at it closely, the groove seems to be getting too narrow for the gear, in fact it's touching the gear. I'm thinking it may have gotten compressed when I misjudged a cut and the branch or trunk collapsed back on it. It does happen! Is there a way to adjust this or is it time for a new bar?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most issue's are fixable. A pic of the problem will help us assist. If the drive links can move freely over the problem area clearance is not the problem. Are you using canola or bio oil? A few blows from a block of wood usually gets a nose sprocket moving.

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most issue's are fixable. A pic of the problem will help us assist. If the drive links can move freely over the problem area clearance is not the problem. Are you using canola or bio oil? A few blows from a block of wood usually gets a nose sprocket moving.

I'll try that. Hasn't budged tho, pushing/pulling with everything that would fit.

I'll try to send a photo.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold the bar in one hand at the mount end and strike or brush it past a block of wood so the nose sprocket contacts the wood. A few strikes 'should' get most sprockets turning again.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ive had a few bars/tips that were "frozen"...sometimes after some heavy pitch laden pine the bar rails and tips get gummed up good. Id try to clean out the rails first ( scrape with tool) then use some citric based cleaner and maybe soak the tip enough to see it its just gummed up. trying to clean out the rails with the scraper will tell you if the rails are compromised.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Citric acid based cleaners work well on rusted metal but I'm not certain how well they work on pine tar .More than likely WD-40 would though .For that matter something in sulfurated thread cutting oil has some effect on heavy build ups.I know it will lift pheonolic wood flour based stuff used in the plastics industry .

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold the bar in one hand at the mount end and strike or brush it past a block of wood so the nose sprocket contacts the wood. A few strikes 'should' get most sprockets turning again.

^^^^This. I prefer the rolling on a block of wood method.

OP, did you cut with the bar fully buried? If so, the bar tip is clogged with wood dust/chips IMO. Nothing more frustrating when the tip locks up. I am not saying the tip didn't get pinched and damaged but not likely IMO. It will take some work to free it up but it can be done; may have to dig chips out, blow them out, oil them out, etc.