Stihl BR5500 blower

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a BR550 blower that we got on state contract for work. I used it today for a while for the first time. It was damaged in shipping, sent back to the contract dealer and repaired, sent back to me and assembled. The blower had no fuel in it so I assume they didn't test it out. This is why I hate state contract equipment! Anyways, I know this is probably the 4mix or whatever they call it, but this thing just didn't seem to have the RPMs it should have. I was too lazy to dig my tach out to see, but my old Husqvarna (Kawasaki powered) was screaming compared to it. I looked at the carb and I don't know if I have the tools to adjust it at all. Any service men out that may be able to help me out on this? What RPMs should it be turning? I don't want to ruin it by running it too lean, but is is four stroking like crazy. Does it require a special tool to adjust the carb?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the BR 550:

Idle is 2500rpm
Full throttle with nozzle attached is 6100rpm

It is possible that you have the newer carb with the hex screws. Then you would need the hex screw driver part no.: 5910 890 2307

Basic setting (from completley closed position) Turns on the
H screw: 3,5
L screw: 2

It`s importand to use a tachometer for the adjusting and set the high speed to the 6100 rpm, because of carbon built up on the valves when it is too rich.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the BR 550:

Idle is 2500rpm
Full throttle with nozzle attached is 6100rpm

It is possible that you have the newer carb with the hex screws. Then you would need the hex screw driver part no.: 5910 890 2307

Basic setting (from completley closed position) Turns on the
H screw: 3,5
L screw: 2

It`s importand to use a tachometer for the adjusting and set the high speed to the 6100 rpm, because of carbon built up on the valves when it is too rich.
Thanks. It sounds like it is turning that, I will verify next week with my fast tach. That must be why it sounds so slow! I does have the hex screws. Is that driver available to anyone? Are there alternatives on the market if so? Does this engine have reed valves or valves like a 4stroke?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The screwdriver is normally a dealers only item. I think there should be a alternative or aftermarket solution availible, but I don`t know. The engine has an inlet and a outlet valve like a 4 cycle engine. It is from the function a real 4 cycle engine, but it gets mixed fuel because there is no oil reservoir in the crankcase. The sound of the engine is really hard 4 stroking, but that`s normal.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes that 4 mm hex driver is available as an after market tool but just sloppier fitting the hex. If you can get the Stihl version. The JD dealer should be able to get you one or at least mine can. About $10. Or you could a 4mm driver and grind the shell down so can be inserted.