STIHL at Northern Tool?

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the ACE hardware stores around here sell Stihl. They do no more than an annual service, filters, plug etc. They are supposed to have the Stihl diagnostic tool for the M-Tronic and battery powered equipment but do not. The largest Stihl dealer here moved down the street into a much larger building and lot. They became an ACE franchise at the same time. That place is does a hell of a business, and the last place I'll go if I need something.

I guess Stihl will do anything at this point to stay "number 1"

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It all comes back to $$$, they will do whatever it takes to make more, just like any other company. Love it or hate it, it's not going away

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe off topic, but I saw some mention of the Echo battery powered saw...my dad recently picked one up (56v) and the thing flat out rips. It will smoke any gas powered saw we own under 50cc, and gives his MS290 a run for its money in anything less than 10" diameter. Now, I've always thought his 290 was a dog, but the little Echo is beyond impressive. He estimates battery life to be nearly equivalent to 2 tanks of fuel.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure the northern tool thing will grow, after they see how much equipment they will sell. Only at select NT stores that have a “service department” but after large sale numbers they’ll probably allow all of them to handle the stihl line. As long as a service center is within so many miles to ship it too for repair.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure the northern tool thing will grow, after they see how much equipment they will sell. Only at select NT stores that have a “service department” but after large sale numbers they’ll probably allow all of them to handle the stihl line. As long as a service center is within so many miles to ship it too for repair.

Yep. Like Acme Tool, and some other large format stores. Might not let them sell out of their catalog.

Still seems to undermine their support for specialty, stocking / servicing dealers.

Battery saws aren't gonna be worth a shìt until they're powered by about 300 volts.
Had a Redback 120V to demo for awhile. Might be others in that voltage range now:
https://redbackpowerusa.com/product/redback-120v-lithium-ion-chain-saw-kit-18-inch/
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/

. . .I saw some mention of the Echo battery powered saw...my dad recently picked one up (56v) and the thing flat out rips.
That was a 'Home Depot exlusive' product for about 3 years. Now it is offered by Echo dealers. Some reviews of it on A.S.:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw.277864/

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve got pro models being sold at Farm and Fleet locally (big box farm store) so it’s not only just Farm Bosses anymore. As far as parts and service I wouldn’t even waste my time asking for a sprocket. It’s sad to see Stihl undercut their dealers further.

It’s the Same way at the local Sun South John Deere dealership.

Lots of Machines, but not much in parts I needed the times I’ve tried to buy something there.

I’ll go Across town to the Saw Shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my little town we had a saws only Stihl dealer for just shy of 50 years. Stihl set up the local hardware store as a dealer less than 3 miles away which prompted the original dealer to retire. They’re doing it to other small town dealers around here too.
Husky did it too several years ago. We had a dedicated dealer then TSC started stocking shelves with them and the quality went to crap for several years. Hope Stihl doesn’t make the same bonehead mistake.

We don’t have a Husqvarna/ Jred dealer anymore for this very reason.

It was the Main Saw Shop in our are for over 30 years: Stihl & Husqvarna.

They have redmax Stuff now & almost no service other than for lawnmowers.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should come as no surprise .McCulloch sold just about every where before they circled the drain . Husqvarna can be found a lot of places,Lowes TSC etc .They are not high end but consumer saws of which they sell the most of .Those buying them are more concerned the thing starts not so much about service or parts .Besides that the average consumer buyer has no idea how to work on them ,like it's magic or something .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember seeing mcculloch all over when I was a kid. Pamida and Kmart both had them, local hardware stores and the local Stihl dealer handled them for a short while as a second line until everyone was selling them. Hopefully stihl doesn’t go down the same road but it seems they are starting. That local shop is out of business because a larger local chain started to handle stihl. Like 8 stores total between MN and WI.

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tell those *a-holes to take it back where you bought it, it's not my problem. if stihl don't like it, they can stick it up there ass

well....theres always that option:lol:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know how the rest of the country goes but in this area the Stihl dealerships are lawn and garden places .They don't just sell Stihl products .I've got like 6 Stihl dealers in a 25 mile radius ,one I don't deal with is 3 miles from the house .There are no stocking Husqvarna dealers except one about 30-40 miles north and from what I hear he's not so good .

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know how the rest of the country goes but in this area the Stihl dealerships are lawn and garden places .They don't just sell Stihl products .I've got like 6 Stihl dealers in a 25 mile radius ,one I don't deal with is 3 miles from the house .There are no stocking Husqvarna dealers except one about 30-40 miles north and from what I hear he's not so good .

Same Here.

There is a Tractor dealer that sells Stihl 2 miles from my house & I only go there when I need a file or a blade for my brush cutter. Anything serious & im going across town to the OPE shop that has a good service guy.

There is another Stihl dealer just across the line that’s an old Saw & Mower Shop: he’s also an ECHO dealer & a good guy.

2 Echo dealers on the east side of the line, & one of them is the Husky dealer. I don’t OPE there.