High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 661C. Gotchas? Known Issues?

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Faller cousin has been busting his butt, seven day weeks of late.

Had said he was going to drop his 661c by for me to have a poke at. Not perfectly clear what the issue is, other than he thought it was starting to seize. So maybe a stuck ring, maybe seals/bearings, maybe...?

Grabbed the Service Manual, have the saw indoors to thaw and dry out, but have not touched it yet.

Interested in knowing what the 'known' issues are, if any.

Got a 2012 date on the sticker on the handle, FWIW, so we can pretty much bet it's seen a few hours, but how many exactly, not gonna even guess.

Thanks!
Trev

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're easy to flood if you aren't careful enough when starting them, and they don't put out much oil. Those issues are known to me.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks!
Figure they can't be 'too' bad, being as every dude that clones chainsaw parts seems to start there, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any relevant insight.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only way to dig a hole is to get a shovel or something and dig it. Get a T-27 in your hands and start turning them tiny silver things backwards. I'd start with the muffler so you can look at the piston/cylinder/rings. You got a mityvac?.....compression tester? Start with that little bit of half useless info the logger gave you & point your nose in that direction. There are a thousand possible answers to your question, you gotta do little sniffing first.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually when loggers wear out a saw... it’s realistically not really worth the amount of $ they need to be sorted out. Most are junk pile parts saws. Your better off making one good one out of a couple junk ones. I did that with one of our 372s to get it going again. You might get lucky and it could be something stupid though.

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks!
Figure they can't be 'too' bad, being as every dude that clones chainsaw parts seems to start there, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any relevant insight.

If you're referring to kit saws and aftermarket parts then perhaps you mean 660, not 661?

Also, if your 2012 date is correct, the 661 press release for canada wasn't until september 2014.

660 will certainly be a bit simpler to work on, and aftermarket parts are indeed plentiful.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No, my 2012 date is the ANSI sticker on the handle under the trigger. Not likely a useful reference point for age. Easier to see now it's dry and not frozen.

Got a compression tester, got no adapter for this size plug, have to make it.

Yeah the info I got from him is only barely that, but it's what I got relayed to me. <shrug>

Not gonna dick around with the saw until I comp test it. It started and ran, anyway. Will rinse it down, and generally try to make it so I don't have to fight through the mung.
Doesn't look like it's all beat to heck. And I do know that he isn't cheap with the oil in his mix.

May be my next Farm saw. Or not.

timbertramp

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had this happen twice to one saw, different top ends and just had another saw completely. Varying amount of time. Both faller saws.

Attachments

• 8B7FBC52-E76A-4B5D-B410-5DE151CB1DF3.jpeg
    8B7FBC52-E76A-4B5D-B410-5DE151CB1DF3.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 73

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, my 2012 date is the ANSI sticker on the handle under the trigger. Not likely a useful reference point for age. Easier to see now it's dry and not frozen.

Got a compression tester, got no adapter for this size plug, have to make it.

Yeah the info I got from him is only barely that, but it's what I got relayed to me. <shrug>

Not gonna dick around with the saw until I comp test it. It started and ran, anyway. Will rinse it down, and generally try to make it so I don't have to fight through the mung.
Doesn't look like it's all beat to heck. And I do know that he isn't cheap with the oil in his mix.

May be my next Farm saw. Or not.
Pull the muffler cover off, and have a peak at the piston. It’s easier than making an adapter for the plug hole.

Might be obvious

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A visual inspection through exhaust port can be done in less time than it took to write this post.. You got a T-27 torx driver? Remove the muffler cover and look at P/C for scoring/transfer/rings/damage. If you no have T-27, maybe he give wrong person saw.