Stihl 462 with big clutch cover

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the 462 has hit Australia unfortunately Iam not paying that price for it for a standard saw this is why we buy our saws from the US this is the latest price list from Stihl View attachment 136712

In my mind the most disturbing thing about that is that it is priced significantly higher than the 461. In other markets we've seen it just below the 461.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Australia, new EPA laws have just been enforced that will see most of the saw options available disappear over the next 12 months.
The 461 is being discontinued and sold off cheap to get rid of stocks.
They just did the same with the MS381 to clear stocks.
All the Makita (Dolmar) saws don't comply and will vanish.
All the cheap Chinese saws sold by hardware stores will vanish, now illegal to import.
Many of the Stihl and Husky lineup are on the list as well.
As far as I know, the MS462 will be the only 70cc class option from Stihl in Australia.
Todd, shop around mate, you can usually get a saw much less than list with local warantee and the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
7:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
In my mind the most disturbing thing about that is that it is priced significantly higher than the 461. In other markets we've seen it just below the 461.
That’s Australia for you Gary we always get ripped off on our saws we must have dopey stamped on our foreheads or something rediculous

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
7:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Here in Australia, new EPA laws have just been enforced that will see most of the saw options available disappear over the next 12 months.
The 461 is being discontinued and sold off cheap to get rid of stocks.
They just did the same with the MS381 to clear stocks.
All the Makita (Dolmar) saws don't comply and will vanish.
All the cheap Chinese saws sold by hardware stores will vanish, now illegal to import.
Many of the Stihl and Husky lineup are on the list as well.
As far as I know, the MS462 will be the only 70cc class option from Stihl in Australia.
Todd, shop around mate, you can usually get a saw much less than list with local warantee and the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment.
All I need is a saw porter as good as Randy or Scott over here and I would be laughing

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s Australia for you Gary we always get ripped off on our saws we must have dopey stamped on our foreheads or something rediculous

Tony's post cleared up a lot. Any idea what the 461 sold for 6 months ago? I bet the price showing is a discounted for original price based on what Tony said.

blackattack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Tony's post cleared up a lot. Any idea what the 461 sold for 6 months ago? I bet the price showing is a discounted for original price based on what Tony said.

Nope, the 461 hasnt seen a price change at all. And it wont I think, they will just sell out the stock they have left, we will only see people trying to 'clear' them once the 462 hits its actual release, as the 462 is in a limited release at this stage. Each dealer only got 4 saws to sell and thats it for a little while.

Lindley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I certainly don’t want to derail this thread, but I’m desperately waiting for a little common sense guidance for EPA laws.

Let’s be honest, most of us on this forum drive a truck, many of them with higher displacement V-8 engines. At around 13 - 15 miles per gallon in the city, I have burned more fuel driving to the dealer to pick up my saw and return home than I will burn in the saw itself over an ENTIRE YEAR. I am sure I’m not alone here.

How much “pollution” do you think these little bitty ass engines put out compared to all of the other internal combustion engines combine?

To say that we have bigger fish to fry than regulating the emissions in these handheld tools is a gross understatement.

Gimme an f’in break!

(Rant off. Carry on as you were.)

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Agreed. Every dealer is different. I talk to many that will only sell at list price. Others start offering a better deal before you even ask. Then I throw them the curve ball....PHO price please! They start flipping out and don't know what to do. They can't figure out what I'm going to do with a saw and no bar and chain. Lol.

List price is a little higher on the 461 here. Yet, it is much easier to get the dealers to give discounts on them, versus the 462.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly don’t want to derail this thread, but I’m desperately waiting for a little common sense guidance for EPA laws.

Let’s be honest, most of us on this forum drive a truck, many of them with higher displacement V-8 engines. At around 13 - 15 miles per gallon in the city, I have burned more fuel driving to the dealer to pick up my saw and return home than I will burn in the saw itself over an ENTIRE YEAR. I am sure I’m not alone here.

How much “pollution” do you think these little bitty ass engines put out compared to all of the other internal combustion engines combine?

To say that we have bigger fish to fry than regulating the emissions in these handheld tools is a gross understatement.

Gimme an f’in break!

(Rant off. Carry on as you were.)

While I agree completely with everything you say I wonder what would be the result if the EPA did butt out? I know here in Canada different Workers Compensation or Safety Boards or OSHA in the States would likely end up regulating this items. You are much more likely to inhale the fumes from a piece of OPE than you would an auto, I would suggest that in this case the EPA is likely the lesser of two evils.