Stihl 462 hard to start

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No if its hot I don't touch the lever, my thought was that set he choke and held the throttle.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you run it out of gas before the next cold start?

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience with that saw it is just cold blooded. I am talking 15-20 minutes or so of sitting, where the 461 I can leave the saw for an hour plus and 1 pull it restarts. I think it is the design of the ignition, just have to put it on the start position and fires instantly.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my 462 but it does take more pulls to start when cold than my other saws. I'd say 6-7? Once warm it starts first pull every time.

Anyone else have to work a little to get their 462 running from cold?

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I love my 462 but it does take more pulls to start when cold than my other saws. I'd say 6-7? Once warm it starts first pull every time.

Anyone else have to work a little to get their 462 running from cold?
Not me.

45:1 H1R Belray. It's 2-4 pulls cold, 99% of the time it's 3. I don't recall it ever taking more than 2 to start hot, and 99% of the time it's 1.

As soon as I hear it getting low on gas I shut it down and fill it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I haven't used it for a while 4-6 pulls when cold is not too unusual. If it has been run within a week it is less.

I never use the decomp when it is cold, only use it for "easy" starts after it is warm.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4-6 pulls from cold here, 1/2 pull thereafter. heavy handed 50:1 red armor.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
sumptin aint right...
If its under warranty the for sure- bring it in
Out of warranty- recalibrate the Electronics ( reset procedure)
if not check the throttle linkages and see if the "Choke" is hanging up somehow or dragging
if not then replace the solenoid. Most of the CM saws Ive had "problems" with were solenoid related.... but the latest models are supposed to have the newer Coil/Filter/Solenoid set up already.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up with a new 462c a few weeks ago, I ran about 20 gallons threw it so far. It's always hard to start compared to my old saws. Sometimes if I start it warm, using the choke it will start with one pull but will shut down instantly. And will repeat this for 3 pulls then it stays running. If I don't choke it, I'd be pulling on the rope till hell freezes over.
Overall I'm pretty happy with this 462, no bogging issues whatsoever like alot of the m-tronic saws ive ran in the past.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up with a new 462c a few weeks ago, I ran about 20 gallons threw it so far. It's always hard to start compared to my old saws. Sometimes if I start it warm, using the choke it will start with one pull but will shut down instantly. And will repeat this for 3 pulls then it stays running. If I don't choke it, I'd be pulling on the rope till hell freezes over.
Overall I'm pretty happy with this 462, no bogging issues whatsoever like alot of the m-tronic saws ive ran in the past.
I noticed exactly what you described when I tested a 462 for two weeks logging last winter. Nothing bad but almost like it’s got a little vapor lock or air in the fuel line or something. It never failed to start though and didn’t bother me. Though I would be interested to see if it would be a issue in 90 degree heat or if it’s just cold blooded? At 1:50 in this video when he starts it... that does exactly what I and you were talking about...

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed exactly what you described when I tested a 462 for two weeks logging last winter. Nothing bad but almost like it’s got a little vapor lock or air in the fuel line or something. It never failed to start though and didn’t bother me. Though I would be interested to see if it would be a issue in 90 degree heat or if it’s just cold blooded? At 1:50 in this video when he starts it... that does exactly what I and you were talking about...
That exactly how all of the 462s I have ran have restarted after they sit for for a few

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they have made them so lean on fuel and oil. Or a faulty solenoid, It’s making them harder to start... I wonder if @nohoff has any word from Germany?
Solenoid.....2 years later they have had multiple versions.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you flood a traditional saw (like you miss the blip because other saws are running close by), it can be near impossible to start also.

My M Tronic saws are easy to start both cold and warm, but in the "in between" can get a little tricky, but I'm always able to get them running so no big deal.

I believe mine are at least as reliable as traditional saws. Like anything else, you just have to get used to them. (when to use "start", when to use "run").

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference to my other saws but will pay careful attention next time. 40 - 1 Amsoil Sabre